when recieving data from a device how do u pick data u want/ Ignore the rest

Snide

I need to grab data out of an array string for example, I'm reading in MYArray.ReadString[0], for example reading...

MYArray.ReadString[0] *
[1] a1
[2] a2
[3] g
[4] k
[5] _
[6]a number
[7]a number
[8] CR
[9] lf

I need to read [3] to [7] i don't care about the rest of the returned data. how do i grab just that data?

Amy

Does the data always show up in 3-7 orm can it show up in other locations? If it is always in 3-7 you can copy out of the base array into another array. For example:

COP(MYArray.ReadString[3], ArrayEvalString[0], 5)

If you don't know where the data string is but it starts with a known character, you can use the FIND instruction to locate the beginning of the data and use that as the base array element for your copy.

Keith

I know where the data is coming in for exp:
Data.ReadString[0]
about the 3 to 7 all the time no, each question i ask gives a different response, different lenghts, i do know the start and end of every string.
I know what part i want to grab, also, the string comes in at Dat.ReadString [0], could you show me an example of a copy, if that's what you suggest exp sorce= dest= length= i tried some stuff but i'm not sure i'm doing it right.

thanks amy

I'm sorry, i see your example

oh, i think i get it except i want to make sure on one thing the Dest...how did you set that in the User-Defined data types?? what would you pick for setting?

Last edited: