• Yes.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Yes but its on my wife's PC.

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pierre

Lifetime Supporting Member
This time it's for real. No more reprieves. Microsoft has started with a campaign to warn users of Win98, 98 Second Edition and WinME that it's really over soon -- that is for all technical support at least. A statement on their site said: "Microsoft is ending support for these products because they are outdated and can expose customers to security risks. We recommend that customers who are still running Windows 98 or Windows ME upgrade to a newer, more secure Microsoft operating system, such as Windows XP, as soon as possible."

-WServer News

Will it creat a problem for you?

I really like there "...and can expose customers to security risks..."

Then we should all be on the Linux :unsure:

Nope; I've been running XP Pro since the first beta... before that was 2k, and before that was NT4 at work and 98 at home. 9x hasn't had a place in our office since 2k was released and we really don't have many windows issues anymore (since 2k).

My Local System at work is Win-98. My Process System is DOS.

But, as I have indicated in the past, I do not access the net from work when I am working.

But, none the less, my Win-98 at work has been very stable over the last several years. If I do have an issue, or concern, I have a Secrets of Win-98 manual that helps me through most issues. I have very rarely, maybe once or twice through the last several years, had to go on-line for real-time help from MicroSoft. If I have an issue I am sure the FAQ will handle my concerns. I try to keep all computer stuff as basic as possible so as to further ensure success.

That was definitely NOT the case with Win-95! I had lots of issues with Win-95. I spent a lot of time online with MS with respect to Win-95. That is what made me hesitate to jump right into 98. I didn't do so until ME (Millenium Edition).

My DOS-based process is as solid as a rock! Although, I have to admit, it is getting harder to find 486-Processors.

It's not a matter of "cheapness".

My environment is harsh. A 486 DOES NOT DIE!

I've had plenty of Pentiums with various operating systems... The CPU or Motherboard died.

The 486 DOES NOT DIE!

The Hard-Drive can die in ANY system! And that is what I had - a hard-drive crash!

So stick your...

And, for viscoelastic...

I have said many times, in the far distant past, Commodore-64 is an outstanding controller!

I truely wish they were still around!

patriot said:
If your too cheap to buy XP you deserve to live in the stone age.
It's not just the cost of XP. I put it on this old Sony Desktop, and it's slow as molasses now. Hard drive kerchunking like crazy if I have more than one thing open. I refuse to do this kind of damage to my laptop.

With XP we need more memory, disk space, speed, ...
Then we can pop for XP Pro Office, and all the other bloatware from MS.
Yes, I will delay until the end because it costs thousands, not hundreds of bucks (quid).

486 does die one take a sledge hammer to it....

To be fair, XP is the most stable OS from MS. This is my personal experience. With enough memeory (mostly likely keithkyll's problem). I have a lot of XP system that don't require a restore 2-3 years later. I never had such luck with NT, 95, 98, 98SE, or even 2000. In the old days before XP I just using a PLC to cycle power on a Windows machine every night :)

Yes, a C64 is more stable and so is the 1st HP calculator, so should we all go back to using that?

My tried and true data logging is 98se other than that I have xp on all my other home machines, but I am looking at a MAC for internet use. I also have a 2000 machine for play.

At work we run xp except for a few engineer computers because of compatability issues.

Personally have never called MS, would rather deal with it myself even if it meant formet and reload. It never hurts to completly purge a system once in a while.

Drewcrew6

Old and unsupported

Oh yes we were all informed this would happen. Its the way of software. We use Win95 in DOS mostly....Anyone here remember Kermit the terminal software? We use this to talk to old COE optimisers. The old termninals were very expensive to repair and hard to get. We got 3 old Computers running win95 and installed Kermit, got all three systems running for almost nothing. Win 98SE is stable and I still use it. NT4 was good but had problems, try to find drivers for laser printers or scanners. XP Pro is good but my pet peeve is the auto update, I keep turning it off and still I get these darn messages saying my computer is updated. I know it changes the registry because I have to reactivate Norton antivirus. I have to wonder what else it is doing. Linux is still one of my faves. I have no problem with support.

And if you choose a Mac (my personal choise since 1984) you STILL have probs!!

Try finding a scanner driver for the Mac OS 10.0.9 and where is an equivalant Ghost software for backups.

Dang!! It's like the gas companies, which just jacked the prices here $.34/gal - Easter demand!!

I better shut up now, the IRS is after my tail

Rod

To be fair, XP is the most stable OS from MS. This is my personal experience. With enough memeory (mostly likely keithkyll's problem). I have a lot of XP system that don't require a restore 2-3 years later.
Man you are lucky and probably do not have any Symantec products on board. WinFax Pro and pcAnywhere regularly bomb me out and I have to go back to square one. I have NEVER had a stable Microsoft product with a Symantec product.

BobB said:
Man you are lucky and probably do not have any Symantec products on board. WinFax Pro and pcAnywhere regularly bomb me out and I have to go back to square one. I have NEVER had a stable Microsoft product with a Symantec product.

After 6 months of trouble with Symantecs full blown AntiVirus, Spyware and Firewall, i have dumped all symantecs products and would never go back!