Career advice help

amit_sharma

One of my friend told me about this site. Its just amazing to see the kind of questions and answers available here. I am in a dielama to accept an offer and seek your advice to giude me properly. I am working in Delhi , India in an automation company as project engineer and have more than 5 years of expereince in industrial automation domain. Recently , I got an offer from a system integrator in NC, USA offering 50K USD per annum. They will process necessary visa for job. Can you guys help me to figure out whether this is a good salary to live in NC for me and my family ( wife and a son ). What are the taxes and other deductions normally there in NC?

Thanks,
Amit

That should be "average salary" in North Carolina. Cost of living there should be much lower than New York. 50K is a good starting salary, but maybe a bit low for someone with 5 years experience.
I think 60-70K is more in range, but perhaps others can shed some light on this.
North Carolina is beautiful country - a nice place to live. 50K there might be just as good as 70K in New York or Dallas, Texas.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the excellent response.
Can somebody tell me how much will be the tax, medical expenses, rent, living cost per month in NC?

The cost of living will vary by location, it will be higher in a city, than in a more rural area.
If you know the address of your future employer, you can contact the local chamber of commerce. They usually have welcome packets, which will contain information about housing, education, taxes etc...

Medical, taxes, and general cost of living all very widely. NC, is a wonderful place to live, and state taxes are not bad when compaired to the Northeast. There are several areas of NC that differ widely. The coast is even different from place to place.

As far as wages go, I think that is a little low. Not bad, but perhaps you should hold out for more. I enjoyed living in NC.

For NC that may be a good salary. Raliegh and the area are much higher cost of living than other areas of NC. You could live quite well on that salary most any place, although certainly not in the lap of luxury.

You should consider not just the immediate salary but also the potential advanatages of future advanacement and professional growth, as well as the interest you have in the job functions. When I was in the job market I didn't always take the job offer with the highest pay, but often took one that I felt would have more satisfying work or would provide a better learning experience. Money is important, but it isn't everything.

This website has good information about the pay for certain job description and location. For Controls look under electrical controls. But remember! Unless you have a talent that they cannot find in the US, they may not pay you as much as they would pay someone who has a work permit. Also remember they are sponsoring your visa so that is another cost the company is incurring..

You will probably file tax as "married filing joint" and here is some information about the tax rate. You can check here for tax rates for NC..

Good luck!

don't forget to ask about the quality of schools if your son is still of that age ... in some locations that might be THE deciding choice - unless a private school is an option ...

and as others are saying, there are places (near larger cities) in North Carolina where $50K would be "acceptable" ... in other (more rural) locations, the same salary would be quite "comfortable" ...

Last edited:
I'll just say that NC is a beautiful state and I truly love visiting out there when I can. I think 50k is a bit low for the Raleigh area (also called the triangle) and probably a bit low in the other major cities (though I almost never get west of RDU). For any of the less populated areas 50k should be decent if the rest of the benefits (like medical) are ok.

Very good information in a shot time. I thank all of you for your comments.
rsdoran: I am not worried about the post by Indian. It was in 2003 and I hope things are much better now.
I want to know how much a car cost there ( may be a medium one or a second hand one ) and will banks give loan even for second hand cars ? and what will be the inetrest rates for loans. Also how much will be the average phone bills/ electricity bills? sorry for asking all this small things. I have to calculate my monthly budject and see if there is any good reasons to relocate.

Try looking up cars at www.carsdirect.com, they have both new and used and the prices they show are real out-the-door prices.

Banks will loan money on most new and used cars up to the NADA value (www.nadaguides.com). Used cars more than 5 years old will have a higher interest rate and more than 10 years old will be higher still or maybe not at all.

Interest rates vary too wildly to guess and they are largly based on your credit score.

Utility bills are also hard to nail down, but here in Lubbock I pay about $300 per month for electricity in an all electric home. High-speed internet, telephone, and cable TV are via a fiber and run about $100 per month all together.