DDE/OPC and RSLinx

New2PLCs

N
Could someone please tell me how to set up (mainly the config of RSLinx) a quick test of using DDE or OPC with RSLinx (using VB or Excel would be comfortable.) I recently got a full version (i.e., not Lite) of RSLinx in order to do this, but when I pull up RSLinx the titlebar of the Window still says RSLinx Lite, even though I uninstalled and then installed the full version. The uninstall seemed to work properly but I guess it's possible I screwed something up. Thanks,

-Don

The activation was already on the hard drive. I was using RSLogix500, which requires the activation (I'm assuming it's the same), with Linx Lite.

-Don

OPC

I have no experience with Allen Bradley and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think you need some software between RSLINX and Excel or Access. I created an OPC link between Access and a GE Fanuc 90-30 using software from Kepware and Matrikon. I used Kepware for the OPC Server and Matrikon for the Client. The Server talks to the PLC and the Client talks to Excel or some type of database and the Client and Server talk to each other. You can download trial versions of each that will run for 2 hours at a time.

Rslinx does require its own activation . If you recieved the ful version of linx then you need to instal the activation for it. As far as needing other software to import data to excel. No!! In rslinx (above lite version) you configure DDE/OPC topics. I have found that once a single link is in place you can access any file in the plc by changing the pointer in excel. For example configure a topic using say b3:1, then change the link in excel to n30:1.

Hope this helps

Drewcrew6

drewcrew6 is correct. You have to activate RS LINX lite with a master disk to make it either a "FULL VERSION" or a "SINGLE NODE VERSION" or the DDE will not work.

Once you get it working, create a DDE topic under the DDE/OPC menu. Call this topic anything you want.

Fire up RS LOGIX 500 while RS LINX is running, go to any DATA TABLE value, select EDIT, COPY, or keyboard shortcut, CTRL-C.

Then open EXCEL. Do a PASTE SPECIAL, I forgot the choice, but I remember the PASTE SPECIAL. Viola! Instant DDE hot topic created in EXCEL...

Good Luck

Each different software package from RSI requires a separate activation. The activation (master disk) you got with RSLogix500 is only good for that package. When you buy another package, say RSLogix5, you get another master disk with a different activation which you must install in order to use the new package. RSLinx is a bit of a special case. It is included with the programming packages but no activation (master disk) is included. RSLinx will function with the programing packages without an activation and in this mode it identifies itself as 'Lite'. If, on the other hand, you buy RSLinx separately, then you will get a master disk (activation) with it. Depending on how much you paid, after activation RSLinx will identify itself as 'single node', 'OEM', 'professional', or 'gateway'. Each of these have different capabilities. One thing to note here is that there is no difference in the program itself - just how it responds to the activation (or lack of it). So, to upgrade from 'Lite' to any other version, all that is necessary is to install the activation. The only reason to re-install RSLinx is to get a newer version.

One other note of caution - make sure RSLinx is shut down before moving activations for any package.

OPC client and RSLinx

Hi, I am interested in seting up an OPC client due to the robust nature of OPC. I know Rslinks SDK can create OPC clients, but can anyone tell me where to find a VB OPC client that can access all the topics created in Linx. I would be interested to set it up on a local machine and then share the tag info accross RS232 to an electronic display board. Any ideas?

Cheers
Dieter