Unknown IP Address

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am hoping someone can answer what is probably an easy question. I am trying to upload a micrologix program. It is using an ethernet adaptor wired into an ethernet switch which also has a panelview plugged into the switch. Do I need to know the IP address first, or is there a way to search for it if it is unknown.

In the old days, I used to use a dos script with a ping command.
Now days you can probably just connect a WinXP PC to the network and it will find what is on the network.
Other than that, and educated guess and a few pings often work.

If your adapter is the A-B 1761-NET-ENI, you can connect it to your PC via a serial cable (the same one you use to download to the MicroLogix, typically) and use the Net-ENI utility to upload the configuration of the adapter. The utility will then show you the IP address and other configuration parameters of the controller.

The utility is available for free from the A-B website:

http://www.ab.com/programmablecontrol/plc/micrologix1000/networkinterfaces.html