AB Mini-PLC-2/02 Processor

TheCaptain2000

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am installing a palletizer with an existing AB Mini-PLC-2/02 Processor with Power Supply (Cat. No. 1772-LZP). This machine has not been run in over 7 years and I fear the memory is gone out of it. Installation is not yet complete to test, but I would rather have the PLC ready before installation is complete. None of my current cabling will interface with this processor. The original manuals downloaded from AB talk about another program other than RSLogix from a much earlier day.

Questions:

1. Can my current version of RSLogix 500 Version 6.3 talk to this processor? Everything I have run into so far does not specify yes or no, but I sure as hell don't get "yes" answers. If RSLogix can't, what will?

2. What interfacing/cabling equipment do I need to do so?

3. If the above two questions are near impossible to deal with, do I startover from scratch with newer equipment? I wouldn't mind the challenge, but time is a slight factor.

Last edited:
I can tell you that RSLogix 500 will not work. I don't believe you can buy the PLC-2 software from AB anymore. This site has software for the PLC-2:
http://www.fast-soft.com/?page=product&product=wsdab2

I do not know the cost, or how well it works.

If I were you I would consider upgrading to new processor, you may be able to utilize the existing I/O modules via a RIO connection. You're local AB rep. will be the best source for possible upgrade paths.

Do you have the original ladder program to load into the processor? There are several files with extensions *.adr, *.cfg, *.cnt, *.dsc, *.lad, *.prf, *.rpd, *.rpi, *.sym, *.xrf, and *.xri.

I have several PLC2's still in operation. If it is just a matter of downloading the program into the processor, you could mail the processor with a fresh battery with a disk containing the software. Then I or anyone with a PLC2 Rack could download the program into it and mail it back.

This won't do you much good long term, because you will want the software yourself to troubleshoot and alter code.

Maybe there is some software available on Ebay or other used software sales vendor. We use a PCMK card and 1784-PCM2 Cable to attach to the processor.