A.B. EitherNet Problems

mollyputzer

Hello,
We have several Panel View 600's and SLC 5/05 connected on an EitherNet network, through eithernet switches, talking to each other. The problem that I am having is that we are occationally losing comm's on the Panel Views and getting that blue fault display on the top of the screen (covering some buttons). We have changed the cables, RJ45 connectors, and switches with no help.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

How is the problem going away? Do you cycle power, does it go away on its own (eventually), are you reloading the program in the PanelView or the SLC?

Also, is this happening on just one unit or is it occurring in several places.

OG

so does it lock up all communications? or just the panelviews? can you plug a laptop into the hubs and connect to the plc while the panelviews are locked up? if you have a scada app like wonderware does it still talk to the plc?

First, The problem goes away on its own, sometimes in a few seconds, sometimes in hours.
Second, We have four work cells in the plant and it is only on one cell but it is on all of the machinery with panel views, but just the panel views, not the processor communications.
Third, it happens on one or more panel views at any time, there is no pattern of when or which one.
Fourth, we have an OPC client which is never affected.
Lastly, this is the oldest of the four cells and there are no other problems in the plant. we have done everything the same (wire, connectors, eithernet switches) on the other three cells but they have no problems.

How many Panelviews do you have trying to get information from the cell PLC at any one time? More than 3 PV trying to get data from the same SLC will clog up pipe. A-B has always told me the overhead from the processor can only handle 3 PV's max.

its seems like a problem between the panelview and the plc. can you take a panelview that is working correctly from somewhere else and switch it out with one of the ones that gives you problems?

Ok these may seem like stupid questions, but here goes anyway........
Are the panelviews all running the same program?
Are the panelviews all the same version?
Is it possible it's a Requested Packet Interval (RPI) problem? Does expanding the RPI time help?

Mart B