Any oilfield guys on here?

ELake20

Lifetime Supporting Member
Have had a couple job offers recently for oilfield related electrical and PLC work. What can I expect? The money seems awesome! The position is local but would require travel to various locations to troubleshoot and install equipment. One position is for pipeline/truck loading facilities and one is for production facilitys both crude oil and natural gas.
Let me know what you guys think - this would be a pretty big change of pace for me and being young (23) its hard to turn down the money..

Thanks!!

I work for a major oil company in the gulf of mexico. if you work for a company that wants to spend money and do things the right way it is great. If you are working for a company that wants to do things half assed and go the cheap route it will be stressful. remember that equipment downtime =huge money loss so you need to be at the top of your game and you will probably be expected to take calls and stuff if necessary. You will also see some crazy old stuff that hundreds of people have worked on and badged and butchered up... which is always fun.

Having been in the offshore oil and gas field for over 21 years, I would say give it a try, like all jobs it will have its ups and downs. But, with oil prices as high as they are and intended to be the majority of all oil companies are not penny pinching, and they usually offer alot more in the form of educational training along the way.

In a former life, I did booth duty at a trade show years ago, 1980-ish, and found myself next to Schlumberger's booth. The Schlumberger guy and I got to talking during one of those frequent dull-nothing-happening periods that are so common at trade shows.

He was 55 at the time and getting ready to retire, because his retireent fund was over $2,000,000. He had nothing ill to say about Schlumberger. He was a techie, in some support role, (involved with oil field exploration) not a sales guy on some grand commission scheme.

Yeah, apparently the money can be good. Grab it while it's there.

Dan

nswu1 said:
Having been in the offshore oil and gas field for over 21 years, I would say give it a try, like all jobs it will have its ups and downs. But, with oil prices as high as they are and intended to be the majority of all oil companies are not penny pinching, and they usually offer alot more in the form of educational training along the way.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

I know a few ex oilfield guys. Apparently it's kind of a burnout job, but they are very greatfull for the expierance and money.. 5- 6 years later they were fried, but have a big bag of money and lots of good expierances..

I'm a Electrical and Instrumentation Project Manager for Devon Energy. The majority of my work involves hurricane damage repairs ,and SCADA, Control Safety System upgrades.

can you tell me a little bit more about your scada techs responsibilites... what all they work on? what types of plc's do you have? what kind of efm's do you have? do scada techs work on gaitronics and gas/fire detection and stuff like that? I would really appreciate it.

No the field electrician takes care of fire/gas and navaids. The SCADA tech takes care of wind generator,solar panels,cals transmitters. We use the full gambit of plc brands.