examples of labeling 4I/40 asi modules for students

glc

I am trying to introduce PLC's to a group of 16yr old students at a collge here in the UK and I am looking for some extra examples to help outline the princilpes associated with the adddressing modes of 4I/4O ASI slave modules employed in ASI networkes. I am also looking for diagrams/sketches to show how you can allocate 4I/4O slave modules to ASI networkes. Any help given would be greatly appritiated.

Regards
Gordon

Look at this site and click on Academy on the right; http://www.as-interface.net/

This site may also offer the information; http://www.as-interface.com/

BTW When at the Academy click on AS-Interface fun in the menu on left, have your sound on.

ALSO at the Academy look at the Glossary and click on Field Mountable I/O modules.

The labeling aspect I am not sure I understand. With AS-I, and most fieldbus systems, there is a scanner used that receives the information from the field devices. In the PLC "registers" are used in association with the data from the communication for the fieldbus system...example; with AB you could use B or N registers to store the data relevant to the fieldbus system but in some cases AB has "M" files for this purpose.

Last edited:
Lets try this again, I take back what I said about labeling. This picture shows how an AS-I scanner is configured in an AB SLC. The adapter is in slot 1 therefore the MO files will be associated with Ouput 1 and M1 files will be associated with Input 1. The number of inputs and outputs available are set by the length of words used for M0 and M1.

AS-Iplcsetup1.jpg

ASIIOex.jpg

Have you already covered the plc CPUs, rack I/O and distributed I/O ? - starting with Asi may cause confusion - I know it took me a while the first time I used the Siemens asi modules.