VB and PLC's

Tim

First let me say I don't know much, "that's more like nothing" about Visual Basic. I've seen a few post about using VB to interact with a plc. I must say, I'm very interested in this. I'm not interested in some big application, just something for me to mess around with. I want to be able to control maybe some outputs and get some data from the plc using my computer.
After searching the web and finding out buying VB6 is not an option, I searched for VB5, but not much luck there either. I ask where can I begin? I'm willing to spend some money, but not $1000.00(VB6) for something I may not need. I realize that I'm going to have to do some reading, but I first would like to know what is the cheapest version of VB I can get and still do what I'm tring to accomplish. It seems to me that I can get VB off of Ebay, but I have know idea what version I need.
I'm running windows XP and the plc I'll be communicating with is a Mitsubishi.
Thanks in advance.
Tim

I recently purchased Visual Basic .Net Deluxe Learning Edition off of Ebay for about $50.00. It comes with the VB .Net step by step book (not too bad). It is a full edition of VB .Net less some of the compiling features of the full blown Visual Studio suite but this version of VB will give you everything you want to do in the immediate future.

I don't know if it's the same for VB.net, but VB6 Learning edition did not include the MSComm control which you would need if you want to communicate with a PLC via the serial port. MSComm only came with the Professional edition or higher.

Last edited:
Thanks, Sak
This VB.Net will run ok on my old 233 computer? I saw it on Ebay, but again, trying to find out if this will get me to my needs was a nightmare, especially if your just starting out. I'll wait to see if anyone else suggest something different then, I guess I'll start bidding.
Thanks again,
Tim

If you just want to get started you dont have to buy VB, buy a VB6 Learning Book like this:http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/6458.asp
You can sometimes find items like this in a bookstore's clearance rack. The CD enclosed has a learning version of VB that lets you create programs but not actually make .exe files (I think). This is a cheap simple alternative to get you started, then look for purchasing VB6, you dont necessarily need VB.net version. Then again it seems that VB.net Standard can be obtained for $109.00
http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/ProductInfo.asp?siteID=11133&typeID=4 You would still want a learning book.

Steve,
The MSComm is now on my list of requirements. Thanks for the info.
That’s why I came here, so I wouldn't go wasting money. Thanks again.
Sak,
If you can tell me if the VB.Net has the MSComm it would be greatly appreciated.
Tim

Then again it seems that VB.net Standard can be obtained for $109.00

Rs, this is in my price range. Steve kind of has me scared on the MSComm thing though. I'm trying to see if I can find somehow if this has the MSComm control. I'll do a little more research on it. The book looks like a good deal,750 pages... :eek: That should keep me busy.
Thanks
Tim

Tim and rsdoran,

I should have been more clear in my original post. The VB .Net Learning Edition DOES come with the VB .Net standard edition therfore, it is a better deal to get the deluxe learning edition becuase you also get the VB .Net step by step book with it.

Regarding the MSComm issue, I dont know as of yet but its a good point and I will look into it shortly.

Chris

MSComm32.ocx is as ActiveX-control, and some scadas try support AX asi InTouch. Good everything else but not #Comm.Output itself, so don't work.
I have VisualStudio6.Pro and I made ActiveX-Control who use
MSComm32.ocx controls and now my InToush application is working and
I can do 1-32 SerialPort handling, so I don't need 3'rd part drivers anymore so simple thing as Serial Port is.

Steve,
I don't know VB.net, but is it support ActiveX controls ?
If it supports ActiveX controls and if yuo have MSCOMM32.OCX in your ..\Winnt\System32\ folder, can you paste it to your form and use it's properties etc. ?

Tim said:

This VB.Net will run ok on my old 233 computer?

Tim,

Unless you are running XP, or Windows 2000 VB.Net won't work, it might run on NT I am not sure but I know for a fact it will not run on 95 or 98. And be prepared for an hour and a half install if you do install it.

Also VB.Net is a little different from VB6, I took a VB.Net class which I and the rest of the class (including the teacher) thought was going to be a VB6 class. The school I took it at doesn't offer VB6 only the latest and gratest apparently. A few of the guys in the class had some VB6 experience and they said VB.Net was different in certain things. So if you get VB.Net make sure you get a VB.Net book to go along with it otherwise you might be banging your head wondering why something from a VB6 book isn't working.

The MSCOMM32.ocx file is freely distributed and allows you to use an ActiveX control that employs the serial port. The MSCOMM control is itself an ActiveX control. The situation is analogous to having Adobe Acrobat reader. The reader is available to anyone fro free, but to create or modify a .pdf file, you need the full-blown version.

The issue with the VB version comes up if you want to place an MSCOMM control object on a form that you're creating. Without the proper version of VB, when you try to add the MSCOMM object to the form, you get a message that you don't have the proper license to do it. You get the same message if you try to edit an MSCOMM object on a form created by someone else.

So if you purchase an ActiveX control with the serial port driver to talk to your PLC, and include it in your VB project, you can probably get away with the standard edition of VB.net. If you intend to write your own Modbus or DF1 driver, you'll need access to the MSCOMM object at design time.

I looked at Microsoft's Visual Studio.net site this morning, and I couldn't tell for sure whether MSCOMM comes with standard edition or not, but I'm guessing that it's not included. They mention that there is no Visual Basic.net 'Professional Editon' as there was with VB6. They advise that if you're upgrading from VB6 Professional Edition to VB.net, that you go for Visual Studio.net, not Visual Basic.net. Since you needed VB6 Professional Edition to work with MSCOMM, I take the statement to mean that you need Visual Studio.net to get the same functionality. Beyond that, I'm not sure which level of Visual Studio.