Serial Port for Compact Logix

plcnovel

Hi Every body:
I ama using compact logix processor L35E, and i am using its serial port as a Modbus Master. Is there any way i can make my program more flexable like if somehow i can change the configuration of the serial port through HMI screen. For example if i want to use it as a Modbus master then switch to that configuration and if i want to use it as a serial port for DF1 protocol, i switch it to that configuration? I dont know if it can be done or not.but just thought of it and would like to spread the idead on air. Any suggestions or cross ideas will be appreciated.

Possible but not simple

It's not easy, but it can be done.

When you are running the Modbus routines, the port is actually in User Mode. This has it's own set of framing and timing parameters (like 9600 8/n/1, etc). The System Mode also has it's set of parameters for framing and for protocol.

Serial port configuration in ControlLogix is handled in two steps: Pending and Current. To switch back and forth between modes, you would send CIP messages to the Serial Port object's Pending configuration to set it up, then send an "apply port settings" command to switch to the other mode. You'd do both steps again to switch back.

Of course, you'd want to suspend processing of the Modbus handling code when you switched over to DF1.

This requires some fairly in-depth knowledge of the Serial Port object, including some information that is not generally published. The serial port is mostly handled by RSLogix 5000, and not under program control.

However, I've done this before and could dig out my examples if you'd like. Contact me directly and we'll post the results, if not the work in progress.

Thanks ken

I know it wouild not be that easy but we can certainly give it a try. I will try to look into CIP instruction and also for serial port working, while waiting for further response from you.