Off Topic: FG Wilson 30KVa GenSet

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone know how the alternator splits from the perkins diesel ?

I phoned Wilsons in Ireland to be told by tech support to remove the air guards between the alternator and the diesel and undo the ring of bolts.

Did this and it wont budge?

Anyone been there done that ?

Could do with getting it apart this weekend and not having to wait till Tuesday to ring Wilsons back ?

I don't know about a perkins diesel but I have removed a few direct mounted gen sets from motors and the coupler between the motor and the generator might be stuck keeping you from being able to pull it apart.

Yeah, i thought as much :(

Soaked it all with WD40 this evening in the hope it will help me tomorrow!

Had a couple of 6' bars either side today and the alterator springs about 1/2" but wont budge after that!

I was hoping someone here had done one of these and perhaps i was missing summin!!!

Is it a spline? Ok so lets presume so and the mount is a Cface. So the C-Face is slightly off by a few .001s, not enough to make a racket, but enough to cause the male to bulge & lock it's self in the female afer many hours of operation. Heat and force in gentle doses...

elevmike said:
Is it a spline? Ok so lets presume so and the mount is a Cface. So the C-Face is slightly off by a few .001s, not enough to make a racket, but enough to cause the male to bulge & lock it's self in the female afer many hours of operation. Heat and force in gentle doses...

It could be a spline, dunno! All wilsons said was it was a metal to metal coupling.

Heat is a good idea but the only place i could apply heat will be too close to the rotor windings :(

I can see my day not being easy..

504bloke said:
:( Soaked it all with WD40 this evening in the hope

There's a sign in our shop, "hope is not a process".

Maybe the southern hemisphere does something to WD-40 (reverse coriolis effect, or whatever), which I think is a great lubricant for sliding doors, but when it comes to penetrating oil, I use the real thing. I have NEVER had WD-40 loosen something corroded/rusted/stuck/ whatever.

I have found Aerokroil actually works. Probably not available down there, but doesn't any real penetrating oil stink more than WD-40?

Dan

United%20Kingdom.gif

Whoops, my mistake, that's not an Australian flag. I thought I saw the southern cross, but it aint' there. Early morning delusions.

Well, maybe the Atlantic air does something for WD-40 then.

Dan

danw said:
United%20Kingdom.gif

Whoops, my mistake, that's not an Australian flag. I thought I saw the southern cross, but it aint' there. Early morning delusions.

Well, maybe the Atlantic air does something for WD-40 then.

Dan

Actually my mistake, i just refer to penetrating oils as wd40!

I actually use "Duck Oil"

Well anyways the alternator is split from the diesel!

Wilsons neglected to tell me that there was another set of bolts on what looks like a flywheel! It is actually a split flywheel type thing which couples the rotor of the alternator to the diesel, once the stator was off far enough to get a spanner in to undo these other bolts it all fell apart........

Now for some beer on the bank holiday weekend, suns out :)