slc 5/05

Minimum procedure:

1. need RSLinx
  2. need RSLogix 500
  3. need Serial port on PC
  4. need serial connection cable 1747-cp3 which is just a null-modem cable 2->3 3->2 5->5
  5. Connect the serial ports of the PC and SLC
  6. Configure RSLinx with a RS232 DF1 driver for the COM port. You should be able to auto-confug the baud rates, etc.
  7. Run RSLogix and connect with the RSLinx driver you just configured.

Also place key switch into rem position. Can you explain how you are going about trying to go online, and give any errors you may be getting form rslogix,rslinx?

nswu1 said:
Also place key switch into rem position.

To expand, the key switch at any position will still allow you to go online with RSLogix. All modes allow remote online edits.

• REM setting is for remotely switching the PLC run/program modes.
  • RUN physically forces the PLC into the run mode.
  • PROGRAM is for physically forcing the PLC into program mode.

jstolaruk said:
To expand, the key switch at any position will still allow you to go online with RSLogix. All modes allow remote online edits.

• REM setting is for remotely switching the PLC run/program modes.
  • RUN physically forces the PLC into the run mode.
  • PROGRAM is for physically forcing the PLC into program mode.

From RSLogix help file:

The SLC 5/03, SLC 5/04, and 5/05 processors have a 3-position keyswitch on the front panel of the module. The keyswitch allows you to select from these modes of operation:
RUN - When the keyswitch is in the RUN position, you can only change the mode by changing the keyswitch position. You cannot use a programming device to remove the processor from the RUN mode. When the SLC 5/03, SLC 5/04 or 5/05 processor keyswitch is in the RUN position, online editing and processor mode changes via channels 0 and 1 are not permitted. When the processor is faulted, you can attempt recovery by toggling the keyswitch position from RUN to PROGram and back to RUN.
PROGram - When the keyswitch is in the PROG position you cannot use RSLogix 500 to take the processor out of the specified mode. You must change the keyswitch position to change the processor's mode.
REMOTE program/test/run - While you are in the REM position, you can change the mode using a programming device. Online editing is allowed while in the REM Run, REM Program, and REM test mode.
RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software 2000, 2001, 2002