RSview Studio ME "Confirm Action" Pushbutton

pcola

On an operator screen I would like to have a "STOP" momentary pushbutton popup a "ARE YOU SURE" display with a "YES" and "NO" button. What is the best way?

Off the top of my head, I would trigger a bit in the PLC that then changes the PV display to a screen that asks that question and then looks for a yes/no answer (changing some PLC bits) and then returns to the original screeen. I know that will work for PVs and PV+s. Now ME may give you the capability of triggering dialog boxes but I can't remember. If so, there is that much less work.

pcola said:
On an operator screen I would like to have a "STOP" momentary pushbutton popup a "ARE YOU SURE" display with a "YES" and "NO" button. What is the best way?

Im doing this at present (not on RSViewME though)

I just use the first button actioned (in your case STOP) to bring up a POPUP screen lebelled as the STOP whatever. So this is actually a GoTo screen button and not a memontary stop button.

Then in the new popup screen i have an Are You Sure? Text with a YES and NO button - The YES button is assigned to the stop bit in the PLC the NO button closes the popup.

I appreciate the responses - The application will require about 5 STOP Pushbuttons. I will try the Variable Passing Method, to reduce screens, but the GOTO screen method is a sure way.

I have found RSVIEW STUDIO to be a very cumbersome and awkward software. Even after developing over 30 panels I find copying files from one computer to another to be problematic, Addressing is not as straight forward as PB32, and the RIO does not support Signed integers.

Thank you for your support.

I have used the Information POP-UP Screen to ensure the opperator is sure he wants an action to take place.
Also I like the the way RSView handles the tags went connected to a ControlLigix PLC.

pcola,

I am sure you can add a "Display Stop Message" or "Display Stop button" on the Touch Animation for your origianal buttons.

Do you really want to add a decision layer for a STOP function? When someone needs something to stop, the usual case is that s/he KNOWS that it needs to stop and it needs to stop NOW. Is this a special case where stopping in a non-emergency can create more problems? I do not remember EVER seeing such a decision tree for a stop button. For start functions, sometimes I have seen such, but never for STOP. STOP is kind of a reserved word that means what it says and only that. If you add this extra layer, you are distorting the function and maybe not adding any value to the project.

If there is some chance of accidently hitting the stop, then you need to rearrange or reprogram the screen graphics, not change the way STOP works.

That "Are You Sure?" **** is something that one might see in a Microsoft Windows program, or in a video game. In a plant control system? It seems silly and a big time waster and will do only one thing well. It will aggrevate your operators to the boiling point. If your operators are that untrustworthy, you've got real problems that this little screw-up will not solve.

Last edited:
Lancie1 said:
That "Are You Sure?" **** is something that one might see in a Microsoft Windows program, or in a video game.

I hate microsoft btw!

I hate those Yes/ no dialog boxes!

The particular scenario i am programming at the moment is for a customers requirements and isn't for a stop button.

It is for the QA department to confirm the action of rejecting 80 tonnes of mixed polymer (at £2000 per tonne) to a dump sylo!

Right on the money, Dave. Sometimes a confirmation is necessary and 80 tonnes of product is a good place for a confirmation!

Other times, you need to trust the operator persons to know when to Stop and when not to Stop. These operators are generally put in that position because they could be relied on to make the right choice. Please do not add extra silly BS to their jobs.

I have found RSVIEW STUDIO to be a very cumbersome and awkward software. Even after developing over 30 panels I find copying files from one computer to another to be problematic,

No no...the correct way to treat the RSView application is to ALWAYS use the backup/restore tool in the Application Manager. The restore creates one single *.apa file that is easy to transport, and restore simply expands it all back into the correct working files. I never, ever fiddle directly with the working files. Just use the Application Manager and all is easy.

Addressing is not as straight forward as PB32, and the RIO does not support Signed integers.

For most connectivity just use direct tagging. I don't know how much easier it could be....just drill into the online processor, and click on address in question. I only use HMI tags if I need to scale for some reason. RIO is only there for legacy support....there should be no reason to use it on any new system.

PhilipW said:
For most connectivity just use direct tagging. I don't know how much easier it could be....just drill into the online processor, and click on address in question.

This is for controllogix and not the slc though isnt it ?

Lancie1 said:
Right on the money, Dave. Sometimes a confirmation is necessary and 80 tonnes of product is a good place for a confirmation!

I forgot to say there is also user logging and login/out passwords so whoever confirms YES dump the sylo can be traced! (As long as they keep there passwords secret of course!)