online help

hassell said:
can i go online with a slc 5/05 with the rj-45 port on my notebook?

Bloody oath mate! I'm no expert on this stuff but I have been learning how to do this myself over the last few weeks so I will try and relate what I have found.

First thing to do would be remove the processor from the rack and find the mac address, it's a number that should look something like 00.00.bc.xx.xx.xx write this down! Reinstall.

As previously stated to connect directly you'll need a cross over network cable. To connect over a network you'll need a straight through cable and connect to a hub, router or whatever.

Direct connection is easy, using XP go to My Network Places, view network connections, right click on local area connection and go to properties. Left click on internet proticol (TCP/IP) and then hit the properties button. Where it says obtain ip adress automatically or use the following Ip adress. Click use the folling. Then fill in the details you want to use. For example 10.89.0.12 for the IP and 255.255.255.0 for the subnet.

Now that is done go to the start menu and Programs, Rockwell Software, Bootp-dhcp Server. Now this is open there should be 2 windows 1 above the other. The lower window has a button called new. Enter your mac address you wrote down earlier and an IP address that is similar to the one you used before but not the same, in this example perhaps 10.89.0.25. By now you should be seeing your mac address and the IP you assigned in the top window.

Open RSLinx and configure a driver. It should be Ethernet devices. When you add new you need to confirm the name, usually AB_ETH-1 click OK. A new window opens up asking for the station 0 Host name. Enter the device IP address.

Open RSLogix and go to TOOLS, Options, System Communications. Make sure the driver is AB_ETH-1 and you should be able to see your PLC when you click Who Active. From there you are in! Over the network is the same but you need to use the correct IP and Subnet for the network.

I hope this has been of some help! Cheers, Richard.