in trouble

read1860

i'm taking a plc position upgrade test at 7:00 a.m. tuesday at my company where i work and need to learn everything i can in less than 24 hours,,,;) don't tell me why didn't i wait to the last minute,,it's a union shop and you know how that can be...i work with relay controlled machines but everything being brought in and built here is going direct logic controlers,,,should i call in sick or what can i read now...šŸ™ƒ thanks

Start here and then hope that everyone else also taking the test is a moron and you can come out as the best candidate of not many good candidates.

You can download a free demo version of the programming software for the direct logic PLCs from the automation direct website - but you still have the problem of not having enough time to learn anything productive.

Good luck, 'cause you're going to need it.

don't tell me why didn't i wait to the last minute

Why did you wait until the last minute? If, as you say
everything being brought in and built here is going direct logic controlers
why didn't you anticipate a position like this becoming available and start studying months ago?

If you were going to have your house rewired next week, would you feel better if you knew that the electrician doing the job had just passed his licensing exam by posting a desperate question like yours on some website?

Automation is a field where your mistakes can get people hurt. By all means, take the test. Just don't expect anybody here to recommend any shortcuts. If there is somone else at your place of work who knows more about automation than you, then that peson is more qualified and should get first crack at the job. Be glad that you have a chance to take a test rather than have your company promote strictly on the basis of seniority.

still in trouble

4 people taking test ,, 2 new employees from previous plc job taking test also,,,posistion for 2 new plc slots,,,looks like there ringers,,,other guy taking test is smarter than me,,i'm the only moron but i have one thing on my side though i haven't figured out what it is yet,,...all kidding aside i will go to that site and cram and you know,,i just might come in 2nd.............thanks

Good luck I wish you well, but if you don't make it, its probably because you didn't deserve it. Let this be a lesson and be on top of your game so that next time around (there's almost always a next time), you will ready and can put yourself in a good position. Abilities like this won't just come to you, you have to work for them. Good Luck!

$

anything brought in or built in the past we were schooled on,,now all of a sudden they don't want to spend the money on schooling the 8 of us and are higering ringers,,,after 26 years here i guess it's
'out with the old and in with the new"..

Yeah in that case its tough and its a raw deal, but for the sake of your own career you need to educate yourself on new technologies and not wait on your company to do it. I'm personally doing that right now, in anticipation of some changes that my company is likely to make in the near future, so that when my job description changes, I'm still capable of fulfilling it.

Back in the early 90s when a lot of companies made the transition from drafting to CAD, a lot of older drafters lost their jobs to college grads who were trained in CAD. But a lot of them made the extra effort to teach themselves CAD, and are still going on strong. I work with several older guys who did just that. It taught me a lesson. (y)

$

Last edited:
Just got home from the test,i'd like to thank you all for your input,,there were 15 pages to the test,,no one finished,,one guy did 13 pages in the allotted 2 hrs.,,one guy did 12 and quit with 20 minutes to go frustrated and burnt out,,another guy did 10 pages and i did 7 pages,,,we don't know yet what percent were correct but were told if nobody scored high enough we all would get training.. I did answer a couple of things about sinking outputs that i didn't know about 24 hrs ago so i feel pretty good and anxious to learn more,,i'm glad i didn't call in sick,,i'm about to start growing again when i thought it was time to plan my retirerment,,i'll keep you posted as to the resuls and my progress,,,you brainiac's woke me up,,!!!!!!!!!Maybe in 5 years you'll read about me developing the first "Flux capacitor" :whistle: ,,thanks again guys........

I guess you have to weed somehow, but the problem with using pre-tests is that a little basic knowledge is not the same as aptitude. The better way would be to do some basic training, then test on that and see who has the better chance of being trainable.

Good luck with it...I hope it works out for you..

Thanks for coming in and letting us know how you did. So often people drop in for a bit of help and then we never hear from them again. Hang around and I can guarantee you that you will learn a lot.