how SLC 5/05 control motor AC Drive thru DeviceNet

yuez2000

We have a pump control job, using SLC-5/05 CPU and 1747-SDN DeviceNet Scanner Module to hook up a cutler-hammer AC drive (9000X) with DeviceNet Option board. I try to use PID instruction to control the drive passthru the DeviceNet to adjust the motor RPM and maintain system pressure. A pressure sensor installed and connectd to analog input module already.

I don't know it works or not. And need help to do the detail of ladder program. I think I need COP to copy data from the Drive to M0 file and then set PID in M0, COP the M0 to M1 file. Is it correct?

Hi,
I have not used the drive that you have. We use all AB drives but it shouldn't matter since DeviceNet devices are supposed to comply with the standards.

Anyhow, the drive data must be "Mapped" to the M files within the 1746-SDN scanner input / output tables. This is done using RSNetworks for DeviceNet software package. Once this is done the data wil show up in the "M" files without any logic in the CPU. That is of course if the proper "M" files have been assigned in the SDN modules' I/O configuration pages. To get the data from the "M" files into the SLC data tables requires a COP instruction.

Now, if say your PID instruction outputs the PV (motor speed) into N7:1, you will need to COP N7:1 to the matching "M" file word along with at least one more word for control bits such as start, stop, direction and so forth. These bit addresses should be available in the VFD manual.

Hope this helps and not confuses the problem.
BD

Things to remember:
1. The SLC M files are assigned in the SDN modules I/O configuration page. The matching 1747-SDN M files are mapped within the SDNS' setup program.
2. SLC processor data out to the drive must be copied from the SLCs' data table to the correct MO file.
3. A devices data going to the SLC data table must be copied from the M1 file to the correct SLC data table.

Thank you, bikerdude.

I only have RSLogix500. Do I need RSNetworks for Mapping data in C-H drive?

OK, I'll order the RSNetWorx for DeviceNet. Do I need RSLogix5000 if SLC-5/04, C-H Drive and PanelView plus 700 on the DeviceNet network?

No. RSLogix 5000 software is used with ControlLogix and CompactLogix controllers.

The RSLogix 500/RSNetWorx combination will work with your SLC 5/04.

Rick

A-B publication 2711P-UM004A-EN-P mentions that Hardware and software requirements for configuring application for DeviceNet communications, on PanelView Plus, RSLogix5000 ver15.0 or later is required.

I want PanelView plus 700 to display data from SLC 5/04 and C-H AC Drive. So far, I have RSLogix500, RSView ME with RSView Studio, RSLinx Classic. Will buy RSNetWorx. Not sure RSLogix5000 I have to buy or not, or RSLogix 5000 Lite/Mini Edition. Any advices welcome.

You will not need RSLogix 5000 to do what you want. As rgurin mentions above RSLogix 5000 is only for ladder logic programming for the Contrologix and Compactlogix families of processors.

It appears that the manual provides tips for configuring the PanelView Plus as a master or slave on DeviceNet. If your application needs that, the manual shows an example using RSLogix 5000. Because I haven't worked with DeviceNet PanelView Plus terminals, I'm not sure if you can set up the master/slave configuration using RSLogix 500.

If you are transferring data from the SLC to the PanelView, RSLogix 500 is supported.

Rick

I have two jobs for one end user,

Job#1: SLC5/05 with 1747-SDN, connects to C-H Drive with DeviceNet board; and using EtherNet to link SLC5/05 processor and PanelView plus 700.

Job#2: SLC5/04 with 1747-SDN, connects to C-H Drive with DeviceNet board; and DeviceNet cable daisy-chain from 1747-SDN to PanelView plus 700 DeviceNet terminal. PanelView plus may not set as Master/Slave.

My laptop computer just load application programs thru 1770-KFD. RSLogix 5000 may not need.

I heard that RSNetWorx Demo version (up to 7 nodes vs. 64 for full ver)is okey for my application.

To reiterate earlier points, the software you need is:

RSLogix 500 to program SLC-5/04 and 5/05 controllers.

RSView Studio for Machine Edition to configure PanelView Plus terminals.

RSNetworx for DeviceNet to configure 1747-SDN scanner module. The demo version will work for your small network.

Because you are a beginner, I strongly recommend that you do not use the PanelView Plus DeviceNet interface. It is intended for more complex applications than yours, and can be difficult for an inexperienced user to configure.

To connect a PanelView Plus to an SLC-5/04 controller, use either a DH+ module (2711P-RN6) or the serial port. If distance is a problem for the serial port, you can use two 1761-NET-DNI modules to bridge the serial DF1 traffic from the PanelView serial port to the SLC-5/04 serial port using DeviceNet as a backbone.

The C-H interface on DeviceNet is very very simple; by default it uses a Polling I/O connection with 4 bytes of Input data and 4 bytes of Output data.

If you are using only one drive, the "Automap" function is going to put that data into the discrete Input and Output files of the SLC-5/05, not into the M0/M1 Module files.

I:x.1 Drive Status
I:x.2 Actual Speed

O:x.1 Drive Command
O:x.2 Command Speed

The contents of these data words can be viewed in the C-H user manual as Assemblies 21 and 71. In the above addressing, "x" is the slot number of the 1747-SDN module.

PanelView will display C-H Drive status, like actual speed, amps, output Hz, etc. I/O files are ok?

Not DeviceNet...

New SLC5/03 with SN scanner. Need to control a PowerFlex with 1136-GM1 and SMC-Flex with 20-COMM-R. Wondering if I need to add (or can I add to I/O config) to get addresses to use? Any tips or links to documentation, sample code?