Micrologix Temperature range

glaverty

This question is for anybody but I'm hoping Ken Roach will chime in. I have an application where we might use a PLC in an outdoor environment. They want the temp specs to be from -30 C to 55 C. All the specs I have seen go from 0 to 65 C with the exception of the Micrologix 1100 which is -20 to 65 C but the expansion modules still only go from 0 to 65 C.

Does AB have a Low Temperature version of a Micrologix Controller? I can't find anything indicating they do on their website.

Can you put a small heater or even a low wattage light bulb in the enclosure to maintain the temperature above freezing?

The heater will work if the PLC will be sitting in a powered panel. I had issues with a client who wanted to power a panel with a generator, but couldn't keep the panel heated all the time.
Be careful with the temperature specs too. Usually there are 2 sets for temperature ranges. One range is for operating temperature and another for storage temperature. If you get outside the storage temperature range you risk having the PLC fail during power-up.

This is going to be a battery powered system with the batteries charged from solar panels so keeping a heater going may be a problem. The storage spec on everything I've looked at so far is -40 C.