PanelView Plus or C-More?

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need about 6 to 10 screens for an AB ML1200 on a pump skid. Nothing fancy, just display of 18 tag values, 8 alarms, and setting of three setpoints.

I was thinking of a PV+400, $610. I already have RSView SE to program it. But I was looking recently at the C-More. The C-More will cost more money than the PV+ (I'll have to get the software), but thats not the over-riding factor here. This is the kind of equipment that you set and forget, and unless the alarm horn is beeping, no one will pay it any attention for six months, so the itty bitty screen isn't really a factor in the decision either.

What would ya'll consider to be something that would sway me in favor of the C-More?

The bottom of the line grayscale C-More is $425, programming software is $129, USB cable to program the C-More is $15. For $569 you get to learn how to program a new display and see what you really think of it in the real world... and its cheaper than the $610 price you quoted.

It sounds like it will be a very simple app which is even better because even with having to learn new software it shouldn't take too long to accomplish.

I'd say get a C-More, play with it some, and then decide if you have interest in using them in future projects where price is a bigger issue.

I know that the 6" STN, 10" TFT, and 15" TFT C-More screens are all very good products and my bet would be you will like them. This seems like an ideal place for you to get to know them.

I have not used the PV series displays, but I have found the C-More panels to be an affordable, user friendly, and robust HMI solution. The touch screen is excellent and, for the price, I don't think I would go back to a 'fixed button' panel for anything other than the most basic application.

I don't think that you would be disappointed with the C-More for this application.

If you have RSView Studio for Supervisory Edition (SE) then the editor for Machine Edition (ME, the PV+ editor) is included. It's just a different button when you launch Studio.

I'm on the seventh city of a two-week training tour in which I've taught RSView Studio and PV+ to over 130 people for free, so I am very aware of the capabilities and environment of the RSView Enterprise products right now.

I definitely recommend the C-More. PanelView plus has some features that are better, particularly the trending. However, the RSView software has a much steeper learning curve, and a lot of hidden "gotchas" in setup and configuration. My guys have picked up on configuring the C-More much quicker. There are also some significant communications issues with the PAnelView Plus. Nothing major, but there is a lot more screwing around time involved in getting it right.

Recently I had a chance of working with PV600. To my amazement the display and numeric data fields can only be positioned in predefined locations on the screen?
In other words if you have a need for a screen that packs as much data entry or display info as possible you will be limited. The graphics are only 2D very limited but maybe that's all you need.
I always use GE's Quick PanelView they are superb albeit more expensive and GE's support is one of the worst I have ever experienced (and again I only call their support when their stuff does not work not with trivial questions).

You can put display and numeric data fields anywhere you want to on a PanelView screen. The main thing I don't like is that you seem to be limited to a left-to-right orientation on text, and you can't animate a numeric or string display field. It also sux that you can't make standard pushbuttons any other shape but circle or square. But I've never had problems arranging them on the screen or using other images.

$

Alaric said:
What would ya'll consider to be something that would sway me in favor of the C-More?

I dont know anything about the C-more but i can 100% recommend the RedLion G3 series of HMI's.

On my second project first was with an 8"G3 and now ill be using the G303.

The 8" exceeded my expectations and i actually gave the customer 100% more than i had quoted for so everyone was happy.

The RedLion Support for me was totally 100% spot on as well.

One bonus for me was the software is completely free.

The software when updated to the latest version through the net also updates the HMI's firmware in the background the next time you do an upload.

It sounds like AD could have a lucrative market in the UK. I think once you try the C-More you would have to agree that it's pretty hard to beat.

Jiri Toman said:
Recently I had a chance of working with PV600. To my amazement the display and numeric data fields can only be positioned in predefined locations on the screen?
In other words if you have a need for a screen that packs as much data entry or display info as possible you will be limited. The graphics are only 2D very limited but maybe that's all you need.
You're obviously referring to one of the "standard" (read old model) PanelViews. The PanelView "Plus" does not have restrictions on the placement of touch cells.

Ken Roach said:
I'm on the seventh city of a two-week training tour in which I've taught RSView Studio and PV+ to over 130 people for free, so I am very aware of the capabilities and environment of the RSView Enterprise products right now.
Why has it been made so difficult to set up simple screen security? The previous system (pre version 4)has been around since the days of the Advisor. I have yet to navigate my way through the tangled maze that is the current system.

And why can't I browse an offline CLX file (.acd) unless RSLinx Enterprise can see the Local target processor? (In spite of what the help file says)

Just a small comment from an outsider.
("outsider" because I havent worked with any of the suggested HMI platforms).

It would be madness for Alaric to switch platform just to save a few bucks.
He has never worked with the Panelview Plus 400 before, but he has worked with the RSView SE platform. I am sure that there are differences between RSView Se and RSView ME, but the common parts must surely outweigh the differences, or not ?

The choice of HMI platform is a strategic one.
My preferences would be in this order:
. Minimum critically needed functionality.
. Reliability.
. The time needed to implement and support the application.
. Additional nice-to-have functionality.
. Cost.

Just to clarify...

I think Jesper meant I have never worked with the C-more, which is correct. I have worked with the PV plus platform quite a bit, as well as RSView SE (which includes RSView ME).

The PV+400 meets the first 3 criteria he has listed, however I was mainly looking for the fourth - what advantages would a C-More give me here - aside from the chance to learn the platform on a project with a leisure schedule that won't bite my shorts if I take the time to learn it. But that alone won't justify it - there needs to be a distinct advantage.

If you have worked with PV plus already, and you can afford it, I would stick with it. C-more would be good if you were just starting out, and wanted and afforable, easy to use solution. But the added functionality of RSViewME and your familiarity with it would tell me you need to stick with it. However, if you REALLY want to use this as an excuse to learn a new platform....well that's up to you.

$