setting up a test bench

tmstrick

Hey,

I am an electronics tech (not a programmer) for A/B and making some test benches so I can trouble-shoot the boards. I am testing a 1746-NI8 board. The rack is set up as ( 1747-l543 1746-NO4V ((that I will swap out with a NO4I for a current test)) 1746-NI8 then a 1746-ITB16. The ITB16 has 4 switches that I use to apply different counts to the NO4V. I have the NO4V CH0 tied to the NI8 CH0 and CH1, then CH1 on NO4v tied to ch2 and ch3 of the ni8, and so on in that order. I don’t know how to get the NI8 to see what I am putting to it. I need to see the counts on the screen to know what ch on the board is failing.

I will be doing the NI16I and the NI16V after the NI8...

hey,

ok I think that I was asking to much information. I have a 1746-NI8 that the switches are set to current. After I apply current i still see( 0 ) for the counts. Is there something that I need to place in Ladder logic to start a scan?

I have been banging my head I know I am just looking over something small;)

I assume that you're monitoring the data with RSLogix500 ... is the processor in the RUN mode? ... note: the inputs won't register unless the processor is in run mode ...

The NI8 is software configurable according to the specs from AB. You have to selelct how you want it to react in the ladder program by setting the correct bits onboard the module. I would suggest that you go to AB manuals online and download the appropriate info for your work. It is all available to whomever needs it. Well, Ron beat me to the punch here, he is certainly right about the run mode. I would post the .pdf I have from AB but I can never get that to work for me here on the forum. Seems my attachments are always to big, wrong file type or some darn thing so I just do not use that feature. Silly I know!

The pdf's on ABs site are:
SLC 500 Analog Input Modules User Manual 1746-NI8User Manual1746-6.8
SLC 500 Analog Input Modules User Manual 1746-NI16I,1746-NI16VUser Manual1746-UM001A-US-P

Last edited:
Using Logix 500 go to IO Config and select a class 3 NI8 and double click to put it in the correct slot.

Then config as per steps 1-6 in attached pdf, that will put the required setup for the NI8 in your ladder. You will need to click each tab for each channel, i have only shown channel 1 config!

Hey,

đź“š I was going along the steps when i hit a stump? o_O

I tried to upload a image of what see.
is there no place for me to config. this thing?

Hmmmm? you should have a configure bottom as shown in 504bloke's first
PDF file. What version of RSLogix500 do you have. Try downloading the latest
if you have current support.

All you need is the serial no., the current registered user and a support contract.

Then go to AB.com and download current ver. No need to talk to a real person.

I have ver. 7.00 and the configure bottom is there.

if you can't get the latest version of the software with the "auto" configuration feature downloaded, you can still "roll your own" configuration numbers by using the worksheets, etc. in the user manual ...

good luck ... and welcome to the forum ...

TO All,

Hey today was a fun day at work, I learned alot about config analog boards, met some smart nice people, and i now have the new 7.10.00 ver. of rslogix. 🍻

I like this place and will keep in touch.

[email protected]