1734-aent

bone

Hello all. I've got a new project coming up, and I will be using the 1734-AENT and Point I/O for the first time. After reading through the user manual, it all seems pretty straightforward. I do have a question that I hope can be answered here, though. I would like to use the built-in thumbwheel switches to set the address of my nodes, but don't particularly want to use the 192.168.1.XXX defaults. Is there a way to hard code the IP to 10.0.9.XXX, where XXX is the thumbwheel address? Can this be done, or am I stuck with the generic addressing prefix?

Thanks,
Bryan

Rockwell chose the Network Number "192.168.1" because that's the number of the most common Class C Private Subnet. You can, of course, manually change or use BOOTP/DHCP to set up the 1734-AENT for any address you like.

The address you intend to use is a Class A private subnet, which is usually used for high-level LAN's inside a big corporate system. This is exactly the sort of environment in which you should NOT unleash EtherNet/IP multicast I/O traffic.

Are you just looking to use a private subnet that appears "simpler" because it has small number values, or are you intending to install this device inside a wider area network ?

Here's a nice plain-language primer on Private Subnetting, for your reading pleasure:

http://redmondmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=460

Ken,

Our IT guy set the internal network as the Class A subnet that you spoke of. The main office is 10.XXX.1XXX, the electrical dept is 10.XXX.6.XXX, the cnc division is 10.XXX.5.XXX, etc. My PLC subnet is 10.XXX.7.XXX. We are creating a plant-wide ethernet ring for a low-grade control I/O system, and would like to use 10.XXX.9.XXX for the IP base.

Hi Ken

I want to upgrade the 1734-AENT module to version 1.033 firmware. But no where on Rockwell site can I find this firmware. Any help that u can provide?