OT: how can I calculate this ?

Farid

can any one please help me find the formula of how much mass do I need to cut the below profile ?? is there a formula?? its a steel stud profile,is it (volume X preimeter X density) ?? I need to know how much mass is required to cut it on my shear..thanks alot.Farid

oopps sorry, I attached the drawing but for some reason its not working i'll try to attach it again ..sorry again. :S

Last edited:
First compute the cross sectional area of the stud profile. Note that the dimensions on the drawing you provided are outside dimesnsion, therefore there is some overlap that we must account for. So the cross sectional area can be given by:
2(12mm * .5mm) + 2(49mm * .5mm) + (72mm * .5mm). Now that you have the cross sectional area, multiply this value by the length in mm of the profile to get the volume, and the density and you will have the mass.

Note the units of the calculation. The units are part of the math. The cross secional area will be in mm * mm units, or mm2. When you multply by the length in mm get units of mm3. Note that unit of density is grams*mm-3. Thus when you multply the volume by the density, the units of mm3 and mm-3 cancel each other out, leaving only the unit of grams, which is mass.

Last edited:
hi Alaric, thanks for your quik reply,

I know how to get the weight of my profile, but what I needed to know sir, is that if I want to cut this profile by using a hydraulic cylinder,how can I size the hydraulic cylinder?

I need to know how much mass the hydraulic cylinder must generate in order to design a shear ( a cutting station)

if I want to cut this profile, how much mass do I need ??

please If any details are required let me know..

thanks again.Farid

OK, I misunderstood what you wanted. At this point someone who knows more about mechanical engineering will be more help to you - however I think you will still need the cross sectional area and the shear strength of the the profile material. From this the required force can probably be calculated - but strength of materials is outside my expertise.

Is the section supported by a die during shearing? If not then bending forces will also come into play which will complicate the calculation. This might be a problem that is best approached empirically with a test set up.

Last edited: