Genius configuration LM90

Andrew Chan

I came across this situation last week at out plant, we had a motor run by a Genius I/O and last week the Motor is stopped by it self couple time, then I went to look at the Genius block configuration and found no I/O address configured in to it; I reconfigured with the proper I/O address and never had a problem since then. My question is how the address got lost or wiped out? how is it possible, I think the base had a flash memory. Or is it possible to add a Genius block to a bus with no I/O address configured to it thru a Hand Held Monitor? When I looked at the original configuration documents (may created 10 years ago)its indicating no ref address needed. I am confused now, please any comments welcome.

Thanks.

Exactly what data got lost from the block? What type of block? What type of PLC is controlling it? Were there any faults indicated? What was the status of the two network LEDs on the block that you suspected had a problem? You said you reconfigured the block. Exactly what did you 'reconfigure'? Did you use the Genius handheld to change something in the block or did you use the programming software to change the bus controller's configuration?

A Genius block's configuration data is stored in the block's flash memory. That includes its block ID. The packet of I/O data sent by the block is limited to the status of its I/O points and any fault information. The Genius block doesn't know or care whether the status of the switch wired to its first circuit is going to show up in the PLC as Input 1 or Input 801. It is the bus controller module's job to tell the PLC where to put the data.

As Steve said...
Genius Bus Controllers need to know the address and length of data sent and recieved from each block. The GBC then puts the recieved data into the correct memory location and sends the block its data. In a typical Genius system the block does not need to know the address that its data will use at the controller. You can address this for troubleshooting purposes. What type of GBC is in your system?
A little more information may help answer your question.

Steve Bailey said:
Exactly what data got lost from the block? What type of block? What type of PLC is controlling it? Were there any faults indicated? What was the status of the two network LEDs on the block that you suspected had a problem? You said you reconfigured the block. Exactly what did you 'reconfigure'? Did you use the Genius handheld to change something in the block or did you use the programming software to change the bus controller's configuration?

A Genius block's configuration data is stored in the block's flash memory. That includes its block ID. The packet of I/O data sent by the block is limited to the status of its I/O points and any fault information. The Genius block doesn't know or care whether the status of the switch wired to its first circuit is going to show up in the PLC as Input 1 or Input 801. It is the bus controller module's job to tell the PLC where to put the data.
It seems like only the i/o addresses were lost, Isolated I/O blocks, it talking to the GE 90-70 PLC thru GBC and no faults logged, network status has not been changed, it looks normal, but our operation complained that the motor is stopped while we are running and they had to restart a couple times, that makes me to look at the blook and find this issues. Then I used HHM to reconfig the i/o address based on the original print and the Genius Bus configuration (starting address of that block in the PLC). My understanding is if we use all input or all output, we may not need to configure each block other than a block ID, and the config thru the PLC GBC, but if we use mixture of input and output we have to tell the Genius what we need, otherwise it wont work as we proposed.
Welcome any comments, thanks for your input in this matter.

It seems like only the i/o addresses were lost, Isolated I/O blocks, it talking to the GE 90-70 PLC thru GBC and no faults logged, network status has not been changed, it looks normal, but our operation complained that the motor is stopped while we are running and they had to restart a couple times, that makes me to look at the blook and find this issues. Then I used HHM to reconfig the i/o address based on the original print and the Genius Bus configuration (starting address of that block in the PLC). My understanding is if we use all input or all output, we may not need to configure each block other than a block ID, and the config thru the PLC GBC, but if we use mixture of input and output we have to tell the Genius what we need, otherwise it wont work as we proposed.
Welcome any comments, thanks for your input in this matter.

From your description, my guess would be momentary loss of communication between the bus controller and the block. Unless otherwise configured, outputs will revert to the OFF state when the block loses communications with the bus controller. If your PLC ladder logic used an auxiliary contact from the motor starter as a holding contact for the coil, that could explain the behavior you experienced.

I think Genius blocks that are capable of being configured for mixed inputs and outputs default to all inputs. If your application is compatible with all of the default settings for a block, then all you need to configure is the bus address. Regardless of how much or how little you deviate from the default values, the settings for the block in the PLC's hardware configuration of the bus controller must match the configuration of the block itself.