Configuring an AB 1746-HSCE2 through RIO

RTHurt

I have a project to configure a TR Electronic model CE-65M incremental encoder to a SCL-500 PLC in a remote rack using an AB 1746-HSCE2 card. I have the 1747-SN card in the main rack communicating to the 1747-ASB in the remote rack but can not get any data out of the HSCE2 card. The encoder and HSCE2 card are working but I seem to have a communication problem.

I am using an example program that I got off of AB's Knowledgebase website for HSCE2 cards in remote racks. It uses COP instructions the BTR & BTW instructions. My problem might be here but I'm not sure how to trouble shoot it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Remote I/O can be hard to trouble shoot.
We need a LOT more information. Is this a new remote chassis, or just adding the HSCE2 to an existing one? Are there any other I/O modules, do they work?
What are the dip switch settings on the ASB? Is your SN a series A or series B?

The best way to handle this is give us an exact listing of your hardware, and if possible post you .rss file.

Here's a few links to similar threads, may help, may not:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=22060
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=18841

Last edited:
Yes, the remote rack is new and there will be no other I/O modules in the rack. The existing setup has a 1746-HSCE card in the main rack. We are adding the remote rack to eliminate the long encoder cable which gets damaged in a festoon.

The SN modules is a series B.

My ASB dip switch settings are:

SW1: 1-5 ON, 6 Off, 7 & 8 ON
SW2: 1-2ON, 3 Off, 4-6 ON, 7 Off, 8 On
Sw3: 1 Off, 2 ON, 3-4 Off, 5 ON, 6-7 Off, 8 ON

In the main rack I have 1747-L543 5/04 Processor.
The SN module is in slot 1.

The remote rack is a 7 slot chassis with the ASB module in slot 0 and the 1746-HSCE2 in slot 3. The program I am using I got off of the AB Knowledgebase website (HSCE2E10.RSS). It uses the old COP instructions for the BTR & BTW which I need since our processor doesn't support the BTR & BTW instructions. I plan to merge this program with the existing program that we have once I have the communication correct.

The SN and ASB modules are communicating and I can see data coming in when I spin the encoder shaft but its not useful info. I couple of times it was working and then quit again but I don't know why. I think I might not have the interger files on M files configured correctly but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help. I would post the program but I'm not sure how you insert it.

To post your code, just zip it and then attach, or just change the file extension to .zip, and let everyone know that you just changed it.

If I were you I would spend the money for a firmware upgrade, so that Block transfers can be used. Reading and writing to the M files can be very difficult.
Last time I checked the firmware upgrade was less than $100.00, and well worth the price. The time saved more than covers the expense.

I don't know what your application is, but I hope you can tolerate the lag time between the encoder and your processor. When the HSCE2 was in the same chassis, the data registers are updated every plc scan. Now the data will be updated at RIO speed, not backplane speed. This may or may not be an issue.

I found my problem w/ the encoder data not being correct. I had some jumper set incorrectly on the HSCE2 card. Now my problem is that it counts up to 9999 and then rolls over. I need to count up to 30,000. If anyone has any ideas on this I would appreciate it. I've been through the whole program and don't see any where to change it so I think it is tied to the M files. Attached is a zipped copy of the program.