Adding Multiple #'s

sgsims

Can someone suggest the proper way to add 10 numbers (10 Readings from a flow meter) and divide that # by 10?

sgsims said:
Can someone suggest the proper way to add 10 numbers (10 Readings from a flow meter) and divide that # by 10?

Which PLC?

With a text based PLC, I use the following generic form that I learned in Object Oriented Programming I.

Declare Array_Of_10;

Size = 10;
Index = 0;
Total = 0;

While Index < Size do
Total = Total + Array_Of_10[Index];
Index = Index +1;
endWhile

Average = Total / Size;

By doing it this way, if I want to change the # of readings, I adjust the Array, the Size, and boom, still works.

(Edited to zero the total)

Last edited:
Thank you very much! That was great. So, if I understand correctly we are loading the first # in the accumulator then ading each subsequent # to that # in the accumulator. After each addition takes place the result is placed in the accumulator.

Am I right?

That's right.The result of any of the math operations remains in the accumulator (which is 32 bit by the way). You can then perform further operations or send the result to a destination. Performing the OUT (or OUTD) does not clear the accumulator. It is still holding the last value if that is of any importance. And also, after a DIV the integer quotient is in the accumulator while the remainder is one level up in the accumulator stack. After performing your OUT (if needed) of the quotient you can perform a POP instruction to bring the remainder into the accumulator for any use you may make of it.