New HMI SOftware

AJW

I am beginning to search for a new HMI package to replace my current installations of 25 or more. I have already found the new hardware, now I am looking for the impossible. I am not asking for a full blown SCADA all I need is:

Graphical interface to allow the operator to control and make adjustments and maint to see what is going on.

An alarm messaging, although most of this I write in the PLC so anything that will allow a pop-up banner and a current alarm list is OK.

A Historical and real-time trending package, I don't know why, everybody ask for it but know one uses it except me to set-up PID's.

And last I must be able to write a small VBA or VB routine to load set-up files from the removable media to the on harddisk for storage and transfer to the PLC by a different VB routine.

Comunications is ethernet and OPC.

Oh yea an unlimited amount of tags the I can use when I want without having to spend the the balance of the national budget.
For instance, I need to add about 150 tags to a 300 tag system. The next available is 500 and I am OK with that but @ 1300 extra.....

Can anyone help??

I would even consider writing my own, if I new where to start.

AJ

www.opcsystems.com

You use VB to create it, but it has the communications built in, with some nice trending, and all kinds of goodies.

Load on one machine, smart client in to run multiple run time free liscenes.

You'll also need an OPC server, but it sounds like you've got one.

I can not find out why it is difficult for you to make a selection cause almost all standard HMI softwares provides functions you expect.

I have the experience of WinCC from Microsoft and Siemens and it is perfect. Just scripting language is C.

Loot at australian product - Citect, it can do all you need and it includes all drivers for any possible PLC.
I use it from 1995 - still the best one!
You can download full pack and it works for 15 min. without key.

www.citect.com

AJW:
Which PLC(s) are you hooking up to ?
Which HMI software do you have allready, if any ?

"And last I must be able to write a small VBA or VB routine to load set-up files from the removable media to the on harddisk for storage and transfer to the PLC by a different VB routine."
What is this really ? Recipes ? Batch jobs ? Or..

AJW said:
A Historical and real-time trending package, I don't know why, everybody ask for it but know one uses it except me to set-up PID's.

Actually, I find them quite useful. A few of our plant's key parameters are saved in trends, and the operators watch those graphs, and check the historical graph from the previous shift to see what happened. They're quite familiar with the signatures in the different graphs for mixing chemicals, blocked pumps, probe washing, and filter washing!

-Rhonda

Have a look at Omron CX-Supervisor. You buy the development package and then just buy a runtime each time you wish to use it on a job.

It is quite inexpensive, has unlimited tags, works with OPC and is compatible with VB.

BobB said:
Have a look at Omron CX-Supervisor. You buy the development package and then just buy a runtime each time you wish to use it on a job.

It is quite inexpensive, has unlimited tags, works with OPC and is compatible with VB.
How much per runtime license ?
Unlimited tags is definitely interesting.
Honestly, I am not thinking about switching platform, but it is allways nice to know what possibilities there are.

Jesper, you would have to check the price with your local Omron distributor.

The thing about the runtime licence is that if you do not install the development package on the target computer, a compiled version of the application is used in the runtime. It cannot be altered by the runtime package. The development package is required for that.

Iconics has all those features as well. The software is free, but the license costs. You only need to buy the license for what you need. Look at www.iconics.com for more info. The WebHMI product is really useful for multiple clients that run the same graphics and interfaces.

Konstantin S said:
Loot at australian product - Citect, it can do all you need and it includes all drivers for any possible PLC.
I use it from 1995 - still the best one!
You can download full pack and it works for 15 min. without key.

www.citect.com

Good package. The scripting language is very good. Genies and Super-genies are huge time savers.

But beware - support contract is not too unreasonable, but if you let it lapse expect to pay huge, I do mean huge, fees to get it reinstated - as in you may as well buy the software again.

Oh, that 15 minutes is the run time. You can develop all day long for free.

Thanks for the reply's. This is the first chance I've had to get
back and look. But I think I may have found the golden egg. CTC's
Interact X. I used Interact in the good ole DOS days and still have several still running today. Interact X can work as a client or server, has all the drivers and OPC. It gets even better, unlimited tags and screens and FREE TECH Support. You do have to buy the development but it also includes a runtime for around 2k. And the also a a runtime only around 1500. This may-be what I am looking for.

To answer the question about the PLC, Giddings and Lewis PIC900 with 10 axis of servo control. The VBA code is used to transfer files from floppy to the computer and then from the computer to the RAM Disk in the PIC. Its the profiles for the servo's

Again, Thanks for the input.

Later today I get to start-up Compact Logix with Devicenet that has 18 PF40's and 10 compact block I/O. FUN FUN

AJW