EDS file

russrmartin

I have a compact logix that I need to set a path for. I can see the a device in RSLinx, but it has a question mark. I beleive that I downloaded the correct eds file and placed in in the RSCommon folder with all the other eds files. I still cannot recognize the processor. Is there something else I need to do? Restart my computer or something? Thanks.

Russ

You have to register the EDS file

Start -> Programs -> Rockwell Software -> RS Linx Tools -> EDS Hardware Installation Tool

erk...um... you didn't already do that, did you ?

There are two cardinal rules for the care and feeding of the RSCommon folder and the EDS registration mechanism.

Rule 1: Never copy or move an EDS file directly to the RSCommon/EDS folder.

Rule 2: If you violate Rule 1, never run the EDS Wizard or Registration Tool on a file that is already located in the RSCommon/EDS folder.

CompactLogix actually needs several EDS files; the controller, the comms daughtercard, and the virtual backplane. I think they're all bundled together these days.

I'm having some more problems with Linx, well, I guess one in particular. I have downloaded what I think is the latest eds file for a PV+ 1500. I hav registered it using the Linx Eds hardware installtion tool. I have stopped and restarted RSLinx, but I still cannot see the panelview, just a questionmark. Does anyone know if there is a way to verify I have the correct EDS file? Thanks.

Russ

Whenever I need an EDS file I get all of them that could possibly be the one I would need and download and register them. Harddrive space is cheap and the time spent going back and forth to figure out the right one is not worth it.

I wish AB would make some of their new equipment so that it would store its EDS file in the memory of the device and RSLinx would upload if it needed it. If you load new firmware in something part of the download process could replace the EDS file with a new one. This would save a lot of time and make a lot of people happy.

It really blows to show up somewhere and go to connect to equipment and find out the new stuff has a new revision of firmware, but your out at a lift station/water tower, etc. that is im the middle of nowhere. Now the rest of your day is spent trying to find an internet connection and then trying to figure out which EDS file to download.

I'm with jtn. When I get EDS files I download and install every available version unless I know I already have a specific one.

If you want to find out what you have installed you can open the EDS install tool and select 'Remove'. The first thing the tool does is take an audit of the registered EDS files. You can use this to see what you have registered. Just cancel the process and you won't delete anything.

My big beef with Linx is that it is so restrictive. I find it hard to believe that the data access mechanism of a ControlLogix processor has changed so much from version to version that Linx can't access it without the correct version EDS. The same goes for the ENBT or CNB cards. I can see why there should be some indication that you don't have the correct version. But why wouldn't Linx just give the connection the old college try using the EDS file from a previous version? Let the user decide if it's wrong.

Keith

I agree whole heartedly. The biggest question I have is if there is a problem with the EDS file they have available. There is only one, for major rev 3. I do know that the file loaded and running in the PV+1500 is up to 4.0 in RSView Studio, but I don't think that should matter should it?

It's not a cure-all, but the good news is that many new products have the EDS embedded in them. Take a look at the default web page for a 1734-AENT, for example, and you will find a link to the EDS file that can be downloaded directly from the device. Many DeviceNet products, too, support the "upload EDS" wizard function because they contain a full Parameter object that RSNetworx can build an EDS from.

Anyhow, to the matter at hand with the PV+.

There are three drivers that can "see" a PV+ terminal on Ethernet; the RSLinx Classic "Ethernet Devices" driver and EtherNet/IP drivers, as well as the RSLinx Enterprise EtherNet/IP driver.

If it's one of the EtherNet/IP drivers and it shows a question mark, then we probably have an identity problem related to EDS registration.

I have also seen some instances where the user purposely or inadvertently deleted the Ethernet driver in the Target tab of the RSLinx Enterprise configuration. That meant that when the *.MER runtime file got loaded onto the PV+ terminal, it replaced the current RSLinx Enterprise configuration with one that lacked an Ethernet driver.

Even though Windows CE handles the IP address and basic TCP/IP functions for the PV+ terminal (which is why it will respond to PING), RSLinx Enterprie handles all the Rockwell-related services, including providing identity and services to other computers' RSLinx browsers. If the PV+ has no Ethernet driver, it will not respond to EtherNet/IP "List Identity" commands, which is what the PC's RSLinx Enterprise and Classic EtherNet/IP drivers use to discover Rockwell products on a network.

So; check which driver you're using to "see" the PV+, and check in the online Application Settings to see if there is an Ethernet driver configured.

Ken Roach said:
It's not a cure-all, but the good news is that many new products have the EDS embedded in them. Take a look at the default web page for a 1734-AENT, for example, and you will find a link to the EDS file that can be downloaded directly from the device. Many DeviceNet products, too, support the "upload EDS" wizard function because they contain a full Parameter object that RSNetworx can build an EDS from.

That's good news, it's been a while since I did devicenet so I guess I hadn't noticed. When I upgraded to ControlLogix V15 I don't remember having EDS issues with the ENET or CNB cards. The PowerFlex drives give me some ControlNet EDS issues, but it got worked through somewhat quickly. The main problem there was the P/N's for the drives didn't show up on the EDS page and no one at tech support could tell me what EDS file to use.

Clarification of my problem

Just to clarify the exact issue, I know it's hard to come up with solutions when you don't know everything possible about the problem. The Linx Enterprise driver recognized the PV+ without a problem. The RSLinx Classic driver sees a panelview, but gives questionmark and device not recognized. I have configured an Ethernet devices driver. Tomorrow I will try the Ethernet\IP driver and see if that makes any difference. One thing to note, I have PV+700s that are configured as Ethernet devices drivers, and Linx recognizes those without a problem. This is the real reason for my question. I ran all the EDS files at the same time for the PV+'s, from the 600 all the way to 1500. So far, upgrading to Linx 2.5 has made no difference. AB tech support said to try that, and to try the IP driver. I will post my results tomorrow. Thanks for all the input.

Russ

1769-L33ER problem on FTView Studio 6.0

Hi to everyone,

I am having a problem establishing a communication between a PanelView Plus Compact with a 1769-L33ER controller.

I have already downloaded the EDS file for my revision (20) and my RSLinx can see the chassis controller (CPU and all the other cards)

When I open the communication setup for RSLinx Enterprise on FTView Studio I start to look the Chassis but it has a question mark. I open the whole tree and I can see all the cards except a 1769-OF4Cl that has also a question mark.

I have downloaded many EDS files for the controller but I am not sure what does the problem can be. Thanks in advance.

RSLinx Enterprise doesn't use EDS files, so they don't have anything to do with this issue.

PanelView Plus "Compact" terminals are limited to version 5.10 firmware, which pre-dates the 1769-L33 family CompactLogix by several years.

There are patches and updates to address this on the RA Knowledgebase. This issue was discussed in detail recently here on the Forum, and the information you need should be in this thread:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=73007

Dear Ken,

Thank you very much for your reply. I downloaded the firmware upgrade but it did not work. I was able to read some tags using the trick that is explained in the link that you sent me.

Thanks again!!