RIO (not de janeiro)

bluenoser337

Have a SLC5/03 with SN RIO scanner in slot 1. Need to control a 1336 Plus II drive with 1336-GM1 card, and an SMC-Flex softstarter with 20-COMM-R card. Confused by all the addressing options, block transfers, etc. Just want to start, stop, and send speed reference to the VFD, and read back amps and status. On the softstarter, just need to start, stop and read back fault bit. Wondering (1) if I need to use block transfers, (2) what I need to set up in the SN configuration, (3) what addresses I will use (drive is rack 0, full rack and SS is rack 1, full rack). There is nothing else on the network. Any assistance on how to keep this simple would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Since they are full racks, you will have 8 input words and 8 output words per device accessible via the input/output image of the Scanner, I doubt Block Transfers will be needed. The manuals for the drive and starter should tell you what is contained in each word. Then you can look at the G file to see what the starting and ending address is for each rack.

Thanks for the posts...The example in the 1336-GM1 manual shows the first word is used for "block transfer message handler", and the second for the logic command...but the SLC ladder example uses the first word for the command word, and the second word as the speed reference...and shows no block transfer?! I'm missing something.

First, the -GM1

With the 1336-GM1 RIO/SCANport interface, the Block Transfer function is optional.

With Block Transfers enabled, the first word of the 1336-GM1's I/O memory is used for by the block transfer mechanism. The second word is used for control, and the third word for reference.

With Block Transfers disabled, the first word of the 1336-GM1's I/O memory is used for control, and the second word for reference. This is the most common way to use the drive, and it's what the ladder example shows.

The I/O memory for a 1336-GM1 set as Rack 00, Full Rack with a 1747-SN module with Block Transfer DISabled is as follows:

O:s.0 Control (Start/Stop/Reset/Jog)
O:s.1 Speed Reference
O:s.2 DataLink In A1
O:s.3 DataLink In A2
O:s.4 DataLink In B1
O:s.5 DataLink In B2
O:s.6 DataLink In C1
O:s.7 DataLink In C2

I:s.0 Status (Enabled/Running/Faulted)
I:s.1 Speed Feedback
I:s.2 DataLink Out A1
I:s.3 DataLink Out A2
I:s.4 DataLink Out B1
I:s.5 DataLink Out B2
I:s.6 DataLink Out C1
I:s.7 DataLink Out C2

"s" is the Slot number of the 1747-SN, and note that DataLinks are named relative to the drive, not the controller. You can choose to not enter any parameter links into the DataLink configuration if you aren't using them.

Thanks Ken!!!! I think I'm starting to clue in. Is it correct that the 20-COMM-R with a soft starter would be set up the same way (although I think a half rack would suffice)?

One of the most confusing things about the 1336-GM1 and 1203-GD1 modules were that the block transfer function was optional, and if you chose to turn it on after you'd written your program you had to go and move all your I/O addressing by 1 word.

The goal of making the 20-COMM-R different was to make the Command/Status and Reference/Feedback data as well as the block transfers occupy the same data areas no matter how you configured the module.

What you want to do with the 20-COMM-R is set it up as a 1/2 Rack, and ignore the first Word.

You described your Soft Start as being Rack 01 on the RIO link, so it's addressing is:

O:s.8 Block Transfer Control
O:s.9 Command (Start/Stop/Jog/Reset)
O:s.10 Reference (not used by a soft-start, I think)
O:s.11 Reference (second word used only by 32-bit reference drives)

I:s.8 Block Transfer Status
I:s.9 Status (Enabled, Running, Faulted, etc)
I:s.10 Feedback word 1
I:s.11 Feedback word 2 (used by 32-bit feedback drives)

Ken...thanks so much!!!! I can now write my code without thinking that my addressing may all have to be changed. This is pretty simple stuff, but that 1 word offset had me going.