Windows 2000 or XP?

We use RSlogix 5000 v10, RSLOGIX 500 (v6), RSlogix 5, Step 7 v5.2 SP2, on win xp pro SP1, win xp home sp2 without any issues for the last three years. I guess the version of AB/Siemens software that you intend to matters will make a difference, i suppose the latest ones should support xp...

If you buy a new PC, you will get Windows XP*.
Generally, I would choose XP Pro, mainly because the latest versions of S7 will not run on XP home. Some hacker with better skills than me could possibly get it to work, but I don't know if it has been done.

* or Linux, but this is not that useful for a PLC programmer.

rohan tandon said:
We use... win xp home sp2 without any issues for the last three years. I guess the version of AB/Siemens software that you intend to matters will make a difference, i suppose the latest ones should support xp...

You mustn't be using RSView then.. it won't work on XP Home, IMHO

ianingram said:
You mustn't be using RSView then.. it won't work on XP Home, IMHO
XP Pro should be opted for over XP home, i got XP home with my laptop which i bought way back in college. It hasnt given me any compatibilty issues yet.

I am aware rsview requires XP pro to run but out of curiousity i downloaded the demo of rsview32 ver 6.4. It does run fine too (Sample projects). i haven't tried connecting to a plc yet, what kind of problems should i anticipate with XP home and rsview ?

I will recommend WinXP Pro - the services are working a little bit better, which is important in case of Siemens.

rohan tandon said:
what kind of problems should i anticipate with XP home and rsview ?

During installation an error message popped up, politely telling me that the OS was incompatible, and then the installation was just terminated without completing....

Now after what you posted, I will try the demo version to see what happens....

I use Win 2000 Pro Service Pack 4. Runs everything that I need to including RS Logix 500, PanelBuilder 32, GX Developer, GX IEC Developer, Siemens Step 7 and more. No problems whatsoever.

This all resides on a low spec HP Laptop Pavilion ZE4800 that I bought because it had a built in serial port, PCMCIA slots and was cheap! I’ve spent too long in the past trying to get USB to Serial converters to work with admittedly varying degrees of success. It originally came with XP Home that I removed because of PLC software compatibility problems. 2 1/2 years on with no trouble whatsoever.

Not sure about future compatibility though with new software releases etc, but for now it's perfect and very reliable! I also have another laptop running Win 98 for some old DOS based stuff just in case I need to connect to or modify some old PLC's and message displays etc.

I’m sure that Windows XP Pro is the way to go, but for me at present - if it ain’t broke (yet), then why fix it?

Andrew

Windows 2000 is currently outdated, and unsupported by Microsoft. It should be considered a deprecated OS, and just plain not used anymore.

Switch to XP Pro, SP2 as a new minimum level, though that will only be valid and supported for a few more years as well.

XP Pro, SP2 for .... don't remember how long... (gee once you don't have to reinstall OS every 3-4 weeks like with Win9x, everything seam to be long time...)

Thank you gentlemen for all of your replies. I am working for a large CNC shop that has never really been setup for PLC and control trouble shooting, or programming. I am trying to improve up time and acquire the necessary tools to facilitate that goal. I wanted to be sure and get the right O/S. The advantage here is that they are more than willing to do what ever is necessary. That is a nice change from other jobs I have worked where you can't make changes at all. :) We have a great manager in manitenance.