CNB, CNBR RJ 45 port

clementaliu

Can anyone tell me what the RJ45 port on the CNB cards are used for and how i could get any document that references the use of this port.

The 1756-CNB is a ControlNet module for the Rockwell Automation ControlLogix family of controllers. The RJ-45 jack on the front of the module is a "Network Access Port" for ControlNet.

The only thing I've ever plugged into the Network Access Port is the cable from my 1784-PCC ControlNet card. The NAP gets you direct access to the ControlNet network, so you don't have to use CPU resources or backplane connections to reach the network. The NAP connection gives you the fastest connection and most resources when you are running RSNetworx for ControlNet.

Because the port looks a lot like an Ethernet port (but don't plug an Ethernet cord into it !) some users I know tape it off or plug empty RJ45 connectors in to prevent inadvertent connection of an Ethernet cable.

As far as documentation, I think the 1756-CNB User Manual would be the place to start.

hi clementaliu,
The RJ45 jack of CNB controllNet module is used to communicate with the contrologix proccesor using PCC communication cable (S96946001) connected to 1784-PCC card in your notebook. Using RSlinx AB-PCC driver.

Dante