DF-1 Baud Rate

rsteinhart

This started with a problem using an EZ Text panel with a Slc 5/03 processor. (See post EZ Text and RS Logix 500). I think I understand the scenario with the serial communication between the two. However, I can only get a baud rate of 1200 using DF-1 (configuring with RS Linx) and the EZ text panel will not accept anything less than 2400. I have used 5/04 processors and when using DF-1 always got 1200, nothing higher. Anyone have any ideas on how to kick this up if possible?

Thanks

Ray

Many years ago the default serial port data rate for SLC-5/03 and /04 controllers was 1200 baud. I think that it was 2400 baud for the PLC-5 controllers. Either way, it was pokey, but you could always change the Channel 0 configuration for a data rate of up to 19200 baud. About the time the 5/05 controller was released (7 years ago ?) the default data rate for all the "Enhanced SLC" controllers was changed to 19200 baud.

In the controller organizer in RSLogix 500, expand the Controller folder and click on "Channel Configuration" to bring up the configuration for the controller's port. On the "Channel 0 - System" tab, you can select the baud rate. I usually use 19200 baud.

When you go to download this program, the software will warn you that you will lose communications on the serial port if you apply the changes to it's configuration. That's OK, because that's what we intend to do. You'll lose communications (if you were downloading via the serial port), then you'll go reconfigure RSLinx DF1 driver (use the Autoconfig button) to 19200.