What is the history of Rs Linx

Redland Brick

Hi Guys,

Could you tell me the history of the versions of RS Linx.
Also is RS Linx Enterprize , more for RS View.
And how limited am I with is RS Linx lite.

Thanks in advance.

The best place to start is on the product page at Rockwell Software:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/design/rslinx/index.html

RSLinx "Classic" is a multisession communication utility to connect Rockwell Software products to Allen-Bradley controllers. Version 1.7 dates back to the release of Windows 95, and Version 2.x has evolved with the NT-based Windows operating systems. The current release is version 2.50.

RSLinx Classic has several different license versions with different capabilities. Each higher function version includes all the functions of the lower versions.

RSLinx Lite allows RSI logic editors and network software to connect to PLC-2, PLC-3, PLC-5, PLC-5/250, SLC-500, and Logix-family controllers.

RSLinx OEM and OEM Single Node provide OPC connectivity to Rockwell Software and third-party OPC clients for exchange of data with Allen-Bradley controllers.

RSLinx Professional adds DDE connectivity for Microsoft Office applications.

RSLinx Gateway allows TCP/IP clients to utilize proprietary Allen-Bradley communication card drivers from remote PCs.

There is also a version called RSLinx for RSView that is activated by the RSView32 license, and will only serve OPC data to RSView32.

RSLinx Classic has a lot of legacy stuff in it; drivers for 20-year-old controllers, 16-bit compatibility code, functions like gateway module configuration and data table monitoring, etc. It's a giant program and has really reached its maximum for features.

RSLinx Enterprise was built to be a data server for ControlLogix, from the ground up. It's connectivity to PLC-5 and SLC-500 is limited, and it doesn't include functions for PLC-2,3, or 5/250.

RSLinx Enterprise is the default data provider for RSView Enterprise visualization software.

RSLinx Enterprise runs on Windows 2000/XP computers as well as inside PanelView Plus and VersaView CE terminals.

RSLinx Enterprise serves data using FactoryTalk LiveData protocol, not OPC or direct calls.

RSLinx Enterprise is far more efficient than RSLinx Classic, using a smaller amount of computer CPU utilization for large applications (10,000+ tags per second).

RSLinx Enterprise does not provide upload/download/online monitoring for RSLogix 5/500/5000. Third party OPC connectivity requires a separate OPC Gateway program.