1756-IF16 Faults won't clear

tomalbright

I have overrange bits set even when I have the terminal block unplugged. The good indications go to underrange, but the overrange never change.

I've changed modules, no difference.

I am using the modules in single-ended current mode, and I have a question about th especs, too.

The specs say overvoltage protection is 8VDC in current mode. I am using 24VDC loops, like the rest of the worl, I assume... what exactly does that mean?

thanks

Underrange/Overrange:

You can't have readings without RTB or on the open input:
Without RTB, any input will be in voltage mode because jumper iRTN-RNT is missing, so high inpedance voltage input acts as an antenna.

8VDC in current mode is a voltage drop across the input.
It has nothing to do with PS voltage as long as you provide not more that 20mA under normal condition.

With input resistor ~250 Ohm: 8VDC/250 = 32mA.

So protection will trip if you supply more than 32mA.

Thanks.

turned out to be a loose jumper wire. I should have realized when there were 4 inputs doing the same thing!

It's been a few months since I wired the terminal block, forgot all about the iRTN jumpers.