I/O Forcing in RS Logix 5000 in Program Mode

simplelogix

Hello PLC Engineers,

Does anyone know how I could force I/Os (mainly outputs is what I am interested in) ON or OFF in Program mode and get the physical device to respond appropriately? Eg. Turn a lamp on/off from my laptop.

I know I can do this in Run mode but I need to check my I/Os in a simpler way. (And no, I do not want to write commissioning code to do it. I am looking for an even easier way than that).

I can do it with Omron CX-One software for Omron PLCs and I think I am becoming an Omron convert now!

Thanks for your help.

The CPU will not turn on outputs in Program mode, even by forcing. But that's not the point.

In Program mode, no logic would be operating anyway.

So write a blank program. Set up the I/O and go to 'Run' mode. There will be no logic attempting to turn on or off anything. This is the simplest program possible! You can force all the outputs you wish.

Thanks Bernie. I think you are being specific about Rockwell. Not so in CX-One Programmer by Omron. I can toggle the outputs on or off. And what you suggested is what I do anyway. I was hoping for even less time-consuming methods.

Instead of writing a blank program, unschedule the main routine under each program in the tasks, (don't unshcedule the programs under each task) this way you can leave the logic in place but stop the logic from operating even when the CPU is in run mode.

Right click on Each Program under each task and set the main routine to none.

al52106.GIF

When you verify the program you will get a warning. This is fine.

For advanced programmers only: You can actualy schedule and unschedule programs programatically in the CLX.

Last edited:
While I don't know that I would really recommend this....In a ControlLogix, go to the I/O Module Properties and on the Configuration tab set the Program State for the output to On. Then after applying the change, the output would energize.

This would not require logic and the PLC could remain in program or test mode.

OG

Operaghost said:
While I don't know that I would really recommend this....In a ControlLogix, go to the I/O Module Properties and on the Configuration tab set the Program State for the output to On. Then after applying the change, the output would energize.

This would not require logic and the PLC could remain in program or test mode.

OG
That's what we did once, waiting for the guy who wrote the program to arrive, it let us get way ahead on electrical checkout.

Not so in CX-One Programmer by Omron. I can toggle the outputs on or off.
News to me. I have asked for this to be included in new releases so that the actual output turns on but the output used as inputs do not. Is there some way to do it that I do not know?