Sequence of event recorder

srik

I want some information regarding Sequence of event recorder in DCS/PLC. Is it required to add some special module for sequence of event recording? Or Process controller it self is sufficient to perform this function? I worked with ABB DCS .I have not found any special module there. Is there any deference between DCS and PLCs to use this function?

Typically something like this is done with a historian that is not part of the control system, but is connected to it. Most DCS systems have a historian option, as do most SCADA systems. By historizing discrete and analog control values, you can go back in time and see what was happening at any given moment.

SPECIAL Input Crads

Regarding Seq of Event Recording,

1. ABB has special Cards that stamps Time at the I/O card level and send it as a message to it Alarm Window or Event Window depending how you have configured it. The Time resolution is 1 ms, i guess AND may be up-o 1000 or so events occurrng together it can resolve within that time, the correct value could be given by ABB.
  2. In Advant systems I guess the normal Rack based I/O cards could do that, In AC800 they also have cards for this. Mainly used in Substation application where the firmware (Advant or 200/1) of the DCS/PLC whateve u call it as, is a bit different, again check with ABB for Substation Automation System.
  3. Rockwell has, a GPS module from the Automation Encompass partner Hiprom card, it is 1500$ to 2550$ you could find the price from them and the correct module.
  4. All depends where the time stamping is done, Hatway has such stand alone systems, check their web site. Many people use their system even when there is a PLC /DCS controlling the basic process.
-----

Thanks to search_automation and Ken Moore

Is the module need hard wiring?
I am now searching for SOE modules of Rockwell and ABB.

Thanks once again

Below are SOE modules that Rockwell offers for the Contrologix platform:

Input modules

1756-IB16ISOE (24-48 vdc)

1756-IH16ISOE (125 vdc)

GPS Time Input modules

1756-HP-GPS

The Input modules can provide microsecond time-stamping.

Is it possible to use anlalog signal for these SOE special modules ?

1756-IB16ISOE (24-48 vdc)ABB module is useful for digital inputs only.

AB does not have any special SOE analog input modules, but a standard analog input, like the 1756-IF16, can be configured for high-speed CST (coordinated system time) time-stamped data.

substation automation

Hai,
I am new to this form. I am working on a project for substaion automation. We r using SLC 500 to connect the alaram of 8 individual substaions to a master SCADA substation. The SCADA master needs to pull out sequence of events for each subs. I am not sure id SLC 500 can do any of the fillowing functions-
-Trasient fault analsysis.
-Disturbance recorder.
-Power quality monitor.
-Fault locator-to calculte the distance of fault
-Realtime monitor.
-On-line switchgear monitor.
Do I need seperate modules tp performa the above functions. I have searched AB site for this info, but did not finf any. can anybody help?
Thanks

You will need to go with the ControLogix platform; there are no SOE modules or time-stamping capability with the SLC. I do know that a GPS module (typically used for SOE time-stamping) has been released for the CompactLogix platform, but I'm not aware of any hi-speed SOE input modules.

If you are looking for sequence recorders that can do sub-cycle (60Hz/50Hz) you need to look at manufacturers that make this type of product such as Dranitz for power (transient, power quality, fault sequence) or Bently-Nevada for Vibration.

AB and Modicon have products for substations that can do this type of SOE and will need to get the data up to your historian from the module. I am not certain what the response time rating of the individual I/O points are, however, you should check to be sure your application needs are met. If you want to try to have your standard historian software with OPC communication links to talk to a PLC to get data from an I/O point every 1-10 msec, then I wish you luck.

Soe

I am new to this form. I am working on AUTOMATION systems. We r using MAXIFLEX SEQUENCE EVENT RECORDER to connect the alaram of 8 individual substaions to a master SCADA substation. The SCADA master needs to pull out sequence of events for each subs. I am not sure that what it can do, please give the various parameters that it can reacord as events, with application as example.

Plz give me awareness on this on which parameters we can work with this and how we can give the alaram annunciator to the scada system.

Thanks