old PanelView & dataflash cards

agarb

1st post here...(when did A/B discontinue their forums?)

The company I recently started working for just sold another piece of equipment to a customer that bought an identical piece of machinery back in 1996. Obviously, we want to use the same programs. Problem is that we can no longer read our archived PanelView program. The PanelView is a 2711-B5A2.

We are going to have a non-programmer in the customer's area next month, so we thought we would have him stop by and transfer the program to an ATA flash memory card. Unfortunately I found Knowledge Base article G11406 on the A/B website which says prior to firmware v3, only Databook cards (not ATA) were supported. Firmware v3 didn't start shipping until 1997. When I called A/B, they said even if we were to buy a Databook card and transfer the program to it, we could do nothing with it. We can't open it with PanelBuilder nor transfer it directly to a new PanelView.

Short of sending a programmer person with a laptop/software/cable is there any workaround for this problem?

The usual thing I do is send somebody with the proper cable and the WinPFT PanelBuilder32 File Transfer Utility. They don't even need to install PanelBuilder32 or RSLinx, just plug into the terminal and use the internal DF1 driver. Nearly foolproof.

In your case, though, the terminal is an old PanelView 550 with only a DH485 network port on it. You'd have to make sure the traveller's PC worked with the 1747-PIC driver in RSLinx, or get him a 1747-UIC interface, and then make sure he could connect to the PV550 without unpluggin it from the existing network so it still gets DH485 port power.... more of a procedure than some nontechnical people can handle.

What I would try is to send an old Databook flash card (called Linear Flash) to the site and have your visitor use the function keys and the Configuration screen to copy the .PVA file to the flash card.

When you get the card home, you should then be able to put it into any vintage PanelView and upload from the card using the File Transfer Utility.

I happen to have some older PV550 terminals and some old 2711-NM11 cards around my office, and I'm sure your local A-B office does too. Give them a call or send me a message via the Forum if you need help.

Why don't you just have someone go to the facility that you sold the original model to, and UPLOAD the file into a PVA format. You can then do whatever you want at that point.

kcarlen said:
Why don't you just have someone go to the facility that you sold the original model to, and UPLOAD the file into a PVA format. You can then do whatever you want at that point.

Well, I thought I said originally that a non-programmer person will be in the area next month and I was hoping to get him to do it...

Ken Roach said:
The usual thing I do is send somebody with the proper cable and the WinPFT PanelBuilder32 File Transfer Utility. They don't even need to install PanelBuilder32 or RSLinx, just plug into the terminal and use the internal DF1 driver. Nearly foolproof.

In your case, though, the terminal is an old PanelView 550 with only a DH485 network port on it. You'd have to make sure the traveller's PC worked with the 1747-PIC driver in RSLinx, or get him a 1747-UIC interface, and then make sure he could connect to the PV550 without unpluggin it from the existing network so it still gets DH485 port power.... more of a procedure than some nontechnical people can handle.

Exactly. PIC driver is out... no serial port. I have a UIC I could loan him but the logistics of installing it, making sure is works properly, teaching him RSLinx, etc. etc. are what I was hoping to avoid. Too much chance of something going wrong on-site. Might as well send a programmer along up there if we have to go to all that bother.

Ken Roach said:
What I would try is to send an old Databook flash card (called Linear Flash) to the site and have your visitor use the function keys and the Configuration screen to copy the .PVA file to the flash card.

When you get the card home, you should then be able to put it into any vintage PanelView and upload from the card using the File Transfer Utility.

I happen to have some older PV550 terminals and some old 2711-NM11 cards around my office, and I'm sure your local A-B office does too. Give them a call or send me a message via the Forum if you need help.

Good idea. I know I don't have any old PV550s or NM11 cards, but I'll check with my distributor.

Thanks,
Aaron