uploading siemens plc program

stevew8863

I am looking to upload a program from a siemens plc program, and as I am not the most experienced at this i was wondering where i could find a procedure for this?

What type of plc and what programmer do you have ?

Do you have the original program ? - I would do a compare first before uploading (from the plc memory to your programmer)

I don't have the original program as a different company used to own the rig. I was hoping to go online and upload the station?

Steve

Which Siemens plc are you talking about?

S5, S7-200, S7-300, S7-400?

What software are you wanting to use? STEP5, MicroWIN32, STEP7 Simatic Manager?
How are you connected and with what cable(s)?
Are you using a Siemens PG or normal PC?

Give some helpful details for helpful feedback.

I have attached the section of the Step 7 manual describing the procedure for uploading a station. I hope you have the step 7 software...

Hello Stve;

The programming port of a S7-300 PLC supports MPI, which is based on RS-485 connections. You will need a PC-Adapter cable (MPI to RS-232 converter from Siemens) to communicate with the PLC.
Note that when you do make an upload, since you have no original program, you will probably have no symbol information or comments from the CPU. This will make it hard (but not impossible...) for you to follow the logic of the program.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Steve

The laptop needs to be running the Siemens STEP7 Simatic Manager software. As dchartier stated, you need the converter and lead to link up to the S7-300. Without these two you are p1$$1ng in the wind.

If you have a Siemens FieldPG laptop, an MPI port is built in so no need for PC-Adaptor.

I have the converter and the cable and I have the Simatic manager programme on the laptop. What I was intending to do was open a new project and upload the programme into this project? Am I on the right lines?

Yes, you are on the right lines... just use the upload option to tranfer the program to your laptop. Incase you cant find the station, use the PLC>Display accessible nodes option to get the station address and stuff...

dchartier said:
Hello Stve;

Note that when you do make an upload, since you have no original program, you will probably have no symbol information or comments from the CPU.

Hi, could you please tell me how I can merge uploaded program if I have original program with comments?

Hello, dchartier!

Thank you, for quick response. Could you please clarify?

• Which one project to open? New one or from CD copy?
  • Where that “upload…”? I only found: “Main menu – PLC – Upload Station to PG…” But problem is, it creates the new station. I compared with my project and found out lot of missing objects (UDT, VAT, SFB, SFC) and of cause no symbols, no comments. Using Export/Import I got the symbols but lost 7 from 226 (no problem). I have no any idea how to get the comments. Also I am not sure that program will work if I download back that I have uploaded. How it is going to work without missing UDT for example?
I think I am on a wrong way. Can someone direct me for existing Siemens PLC maintenance?