Power Flex 4 VFD

mjkoc518

I currently have a simple process of a risne return pump running off of a high and low level float. The logic contains an output latch to the drive run/enable relay which is activated by the high float and deactivated by an unlatch which is controlled from the low float........Simple

However I have an alarm sound/light running off the relay out on the drive which is set for OL..........For whatever reason every time the drive turns on and the motor starts the sound/light chirps as if there was an Overload. Am I not understanding the operation of the Relay Out of my drive? Shouldn't it only go off if there is an OL fault?

Thanks

You did not mention the relay action that was being used. An example is if the relay has a normally closed contact but when the drive is enabled it opens, then "time" transitioning from closed to open, could allow a chirp.

Last edited:
Interesting, I would assume as you did that the O/L output would only turn on if the drive had an overload fault. It sounds like maybe when your motor starts it is in an overload conditon, which would be normal as the motor comes up to speed.

I would sugggest you program the drive to activate an alarm whenever it is in either an alarm of faulted condition. I am assuming that you want the alarm to chirp whenever the pump is not operating correctly?

I have done this using the PF4's and did not have the problem. Are the parameters for the relay control correct? Is the motor name plate data entered into the drive correctly? A motor pulls high current when it first starts up, maybe you have the relay programmed for an OL alarm and not an OL fault? I'm just running through my morning ritual before hitting the ground running today and don't have time to look at the manual, but these are things to look at.