Devicenet & Mitz VFD

Bruce99

:) We now have a nice new addition to our sawmill. We now are busy learning CX STL and Mitz 700 drives. I am using RSNetworx V 5.00 Build 81. I want to download the drive Parameters of each drive. The drives are communicating with CX processor via devicenet. Each device is seen on the network. When I select the drive and request a download of all parameters it starts the download. I get the same error every time. Communication error, parameter not supported, error at x414 oc1a etc... parameter #58 not supported. There is nothing at the Rockwell site or Mitz site. Sales people say it should work, but Arrow speed teck support says only their software will download parameters. The A500 Mitz drives use RSnetworx to download parameters. Anyone have any trouble with these new drives or RSnetworx? Do I need a special license to download? The CX processor has no problem with communication on the network. Network traffic is low. I also tried when the place was down. Even with nothing running, the same error came up. What is up!!! :)

Can you post the EDS file that you are using ?

I have a long history of training Arrow's customers on Mitsubishi programming because of their refusal to support or understand their network interfaces.

One thing you might not have seen yet; last time I used an A500, they didn't recognize DeviceNet "Idle Mode", which is what happens if you put the controller in Program Mode or turn off the 1756-DNB "Run" bit. The Mitsubishis will just go on running at the last frequency you commanded. My customers have had to turn off DeviceNet power to fault the drives (and anything else connected to the network) to get safe operation.

I remember having to edit their EDS files, too.... something they did that had an unwritable parameter set as read/write.

Can you do a parameter UPload out of the drive and into the RSNetworx software ?

Generally those errors mean what they say; the drive has sent RSNetworx an error response saying "I don't support that parameter". If the parameter really isn't supported by the drive then it should be the same error on upload and download.

Is it always Parameter 58 that the download stops at ? That parameter is "Trace Status" in the EDS, so maybe if we removed it from the EDS file the download would complete.

nasty parameter

It is always the same. I see that it is Comma delimited. If I delete the parameter between the comma this should fix the problem? Oh by the way Iam uploading from the drive, we have no files saved on disk for these drives, I wanted a copy of each on the PLC server. I havent tried a download. The drives were programmed by Arrow speed Via a laptop, then tuned by them. They left us no files for backup.

It fails during an upload ? Well, then the drive definitely doesn't support this parameter, or the EDS is incorrect.

The way I've worked around this is:

Unregister the EDS file. Make sure you have a copy of it in a location that is not /Rockwell Software/RSCommon/EDS

Delete Parameter #58 in the Parameter section, and any references to it in the Groups section (including decrementing the Group total members value). Decrease the total parameters value by 1 (at the start of the Params section).

Re-register the EDS file in RSNetworx and reboot your PC.

That procedure should keep RSNetworx from attempting to read Parameter #58. Don't be surprised if it chokes on another unsupported parameter later, though.

If you end up in a real bind, a Rockwell field support engineer can help you upload data out of these Mitsubishi drives.