communicating with SLC500

MarkTTU

Lifetime Supporting Member
I got this in a PM this morning and since I don't know jack about the SLC500 I thought I'd post it here and send the guy a link to the thread.

-------------------

I am new to the forum. I work offshore and unfortunately I am the only ET/IT here.

What I have is an AB SLC 500 with a remote rack. the master rack has the 9 pin available but the the ethernet connection is in use.

I thought the RSLOGIX 500 had an autto configure feature. I would like to connect, communicate and download the program from the module and compare it to an older back up. The circuit I am chasing seems simple and I can not find any field device acting up.

Hope you can assist.
Thanks

I just finished building a Null modem cable to interface with the allen bradley PLC

--------------------

It is RSLinx that has the autoconfigure option. Start RSLinx from Start/program files/rockwell software/rslinxGo to communications and pick configure drivers.
Under available driver types select rs232 df1 devices. Click add new and give it a name or leave it as is.
Halfway down you will see an autoconfigure button. Results of autoconfigure will display in the bottom of the window.

Hope this helps.

marksji said:
What I have is an AB SLC 500 with a remote rack. the master rack has the 9 pin available but the the ethernet connection is in use.

I thought the RSLOGIX 500 had an autto configure feature. I would like to connect, communicate and download the program from the module and compare it to an older back up. The circuit I am chasing seems simple and I can not find any field device acting up.

Mark,

He is on the right track, logix does not have a auto but linx does, these are the steps that I use. open linx and config drivers, using the drop down list choose df1

rs232.gif

Next set up the rest after is installed com, baud etc, then use auto config
rs2321.gif

Hope this helps

EDIT: I type tooo slooow, must get faster computer:mad:

Last edited:
As you have an old backup, then if you have trouble with the autoconfigure, open up the backup logix file offline...

Goto Project > Controller > Channel configuration

Select the Channel 0 System Tab

You will then get a screen like this where the DF 1 setting are, use these to set up linx (like i said if you have trouble with the autoconfigure)

505channel0.jpg

Sounds like this is a SLC5/05 (assumption that the EtherNet port is in use).

Why not use the Ethernet driver and connect via Ethernet?

When I hear someone say "Ethernet port" and "SLC" I am wary of it being an actual Ethernet port until we verify that it is a 5/05. My immediate thought as I read this was that it might be a 5/03 as the DH485 "looks" like an Ethernet port.

Hopefully those great detailed instructions answered the question.

I would add one other item, be aware that you download from the computer TO THE PLC. You upload to the computer FROM THE PLC.

Severals threads have debated the wisdom of the naming convention, I merely point it out as an FYI.

OG

Update

Thanks for all the data thus far. As you have read my job is on an offshore oil rig and I am the only electronics guy here. I finally was able to speak to Rockwell about the version and its compatability with XP. I arrived on board to find this problem and the outdated version of RSLOGIX 500 waiting for me. The version here is 3. That was apparently bought in 2000. Rockwell says they never tested 3 on XP cause XP was not around back then, <grin>. I was lucky to find the program resident on a computer which is tied to the PLC's to extract Tank level data. I used this link to view in real time what the PLC was seeing when paprameters were changed by the operator of a field device. The problem ended up being a dual purpose push button that was not feeding the output to both destinations and thereby keeping the logic ladder true. When I traced out the wire I found a recent repair job where heatshrink was placed over the wire. Apparently someone was replacing a button in the panel and while soldering to the button contacts burnt the wire into, but only thought the outside insulation was damaged.

Thanks for all your help guys. Do you know if a simple upgrade purchased will help these guys come up from version 3 or will they need to buy a whole new copy of the latest and greatest?

Thanks again one and all

An econnect support contract will be your cheapest option. Contact you local AB rep for pricing. Pricing depends on the number of PLC's. For less than 10, the price should be less than $400.00. Once you are under support, you can download the latest software.

Glad we could help... If I'm ever out in the middle of the ocean (out for a leisurely swim or just cruisen in my yacht) I will stop by and collect a beer and shoot the S_H_I_T.

:site: