Downloading to SLC 5/05

bradal

I am changing some code off-site and looking to goto site and download the altered code. Is there any way I can keep all the register values that are in the PLC and download the new code??

Thanks

Allan Bradley

To be sure I didn't screw up anything, I would upload the processor logic upon arrival on-site. Save it with a new program name that you will remember, like "old logic 5-30-06.rss". Then you have the old logic to revert to.

Then, I would cut-and-paste the new logic into the appropriate places (to save time). Since you used the uploaded version to make changes, the data table would be intact.

Then, I would download the newly-altered program back into the processor and de-bug the new logic...

Yah for the first comment I am talking about maybe a hundred registers, and they would all be floating point values, alot of code.

One thing to note is that I have added Data Files. So would it be best to go online with processor, add data files I have added in offline copy. Upload current values and save, then paste in logic and import new tag list from offline version????

One of the things I dislike about RSLogix 500 is that you can't download logic separate from data. It comes and goes together.

You can have two RSLogix 500 sessions running at the same time. This helps.

You have two options. One, as suggested above, is to use on line editing and cut and paste the new logic. This is only viable if the changes are just a few rungs.

If the logic changes are significant, I open two RSLogix 500 sessions and do the following:
Connect to the processor and upload the existing program. Save is as "Scratch" or "As_Found" or some such.
Load the new program from disk in the second session.
Open the N and B files and other data files as required in both sessions
Copy and paste the data from the As_Found version into the new version
Save the new version to disk
Download the new version to the PLC
Cuss a little at A-B
Move on with life

It is cumbersome but it works. To allow for this kind of thing I always set up PLC register files that have nothing but my setpoints and adjustments, so I have a limited number of files to cut and paste.

My procedure is pretty similar to what others do...
First thing is save the program in the processor and put it in a folder named asfound053006.
Before you leave, save the program in the processor and put it in a folder named as delivered053006.
Both copies will come in handy if something unforseen happens.

I tend to make changes on-line to limit the scope of my changes. No impact on data, no impact on code I'm not working on. A little planning can make it a lot easier. If the changes are complex, I may write out a "to do" list that I can check off as I make the changes. If you are adding new rungs, pasting them in is obvious. If you are modifying existing rungs, you can replace the entire rung. Paste the new rung in and mark the old rung for deletion, accept, test, assemble. Sometimes it's easier to replace a group of rungs or even the entire program file. (Replacing the entire program file is not much harder than replacing one rung.)

If I'm working on programs I wrote or that I'm very familiar with, then I may consider downloading because I know what data is critical. But I'm usually working on programs I didn't write, that may be changed by someone else without my knowledge.

One thing to note is that I have added Data Files.
i maybe wrong, but with the older versions of rslogix 500 you couldn`t do this with online edits?
So would it be best to go online with processor, add data files I have added in offline copy.
Tired this with 5/03`s and could not. Was i doing something wrong???

There is a ControlLogix utility that works with any of the A-B PLCs that is called tag upload/download utility. The downside is that you must have a copy of RSLinx that can perform OPC communication (Profesional, OEM, Gateway, etc.). The utility is free, but of course you can not use RSLinx Lite.

This works well. We go to the jobsite, upload the datafiles, download the new program and then download the datafiles.

Darren

dash said:
There is a ControlLogix utility that works with any of the A-B PLCs that is called tag upload/download utility. The downside is that you must have a copy of RSLinx that can perform OPC communication (Profesional, OEM, Gateway, etc.). The utility is free, but of course you can not use RSLinx Lite.

This works well. We go to the jobsite, upload the datafiles, download the new program and then download the datafiles.

Darren

Have you got a download link for it ?