Unable to connect to CLX via ethernet

rob allan

Hi

Iam current trying to get online with a CLX 5555 via ethernet and up to now have had no luck. There is a contrologix with address 10.1.1.1 and a panelview 600 with address of 10.1.1.2 connected via a hub. I am using the ETH driver which I have used before without problems RS linx v2.42. My network address on the laptop is set in the same subnet. I can ping both addresses of the PV and the CLX but in linx all I can see is unrecognised device with yellow ? and a red cross with status message of Comm. error 01E00204.
Also I have no firewall active on my laptop.
Am I missing something?

I can connect to both via the 232 but it is so slow its frustating

Any help appreciated

Cheers Rob

Eds files for linx here

To install shut down linx, go to RSLinx Tools > EDS hardware Install Tool

Last edited:
Washington NE between Newcastle and Sunderland

Downloaded the eds file for 1756 ENET/B (that link was for Compactlogix) how do I install the file?

Rob

NE - Small world, missus comes from Ponteland, lived in Whitley Bay for a while!

Unzip the complete eds files to a directory somewhere

(At the bottom of the page on the eds files is the complete zip package for all compactlogix eds files)

Close down RSLinx

Go to your Rockwell Software files on the start > programs menus

Find RS Linx Tools

Run Linx EDS File Install

EDS file is installed.

I am going to site now. Hopefully I can get on via the ethernet.

Let you know how I get on thanks for the help

Cheers Rob

Anytime you get the yellow device it is a eds file that is missing, after you install the eds files, just open rslinx close your current ethernet driver make a new one then browse.

Well arrived on site and still no luck connecting.

Is it necessary to reboot after installing EDS files? if so i wish I read the previous post before leaving for site. Unlucky well Ill find out when I try again on monday.
Or could the problem lie somewhere else?

Any ideas anyone?

Rob

Wrong tree, barkingwise.

There may also be or more EDS files missing, but that is not the basic problem with your system. The error code clearly indicates that the RSLinx browse is not receiving a reply from these devices.

Rockwell Knowbase article on "204" timeout code

The red X in the AB_ETH driver's graphical browse display is also a clear indication that the browse is timing out.

Since you can PING the devices, you know that basic Ethernet connectivity exists.

Try also putting their IP addresses into a web browse to verify that these IP addresses belong to the devices you think they do.

Try the EtherNet/IP driver as well as the Ethernet Devices driver.

Look for some other networking reason that the RSLinx browsing on TCP and UDP ports 2222 and 44818 might be blocked. I know that you have stated that you have no firewall software running, but you might have a subnet configuration or a VPN software application that is preventing RSLinx from getting through to these devices.

Success!

A few weeks ago my laptop threw the towel in so I had to reinstall everything. However when i reinstalled Norton internet security I got error messages saying the install was corrupted so I then removed it or so I thought.Think no more about it untill this problem occurs and no more straws to clutch at..
So today reinstalled NIS set up networking and firewall rules. Connected into the hub and hey presto contologix processor and HMI visible in linx via ethernet.
Much head beating off the wall and lots of beer at the weekend must have helped

Rob