1746-bas

randy

Supporting Member
Can the A-B 1746-BAS BASIC MODULE MI/MO be used for a scanning/printing application? If so where do I begin in regards to the programming...

Thanks

I have used the module to recieve input from a barcode scanner to control operation of a machine. I have also used a port on the module to control an attached printer by sending the print information. I have not done both in the same application but there should be no problem doing so.

The BASIC as used in the module uses a LOT of preset routines. You have to pay very close attention to the order of operands passed to the routines by means of 'PUSH' as well as retrieving answers by means of 'POP'. Some extra 'POP's are required even though they don't pass any useful information mearly to clean up the stack. If you don't do these things get messed up quickly.

Setting the parameters for the ports is a large part of the operation. If set correctly they pretty much take care of themselves. Passing information to/from to the PLC CPU is a bit clunky but, after a very careful manual read, it works well. There is lot's of handshaking to be aware of. The examples are very well done.

The end result does not read naturally as standard BASIC would. I use lots of comments to keep things straight.

Bernie,

Thank you for the response. I do have a sample program for this application. I acquire this program from a piece of equipment form a previous employer. I really do not have a full understanding of this program. Would you be interested in looking at this program and perhaps you could help me understand some of the logic.

I'd say it would be better if you get the AB manuals (one on the unit itself, the other on the BASIC programming). Read all they way through the manuals then make your way through the program one command at a time. It may take a while but, in the end, your knowledge will be so much greater and you will have a better idea of where to start making modifications.

You will also have to have on hand the manuals of any attached equipemnt. The communications they send and recieve will help make the BASIC program more understandable.

Some of the commands set up the module so that any received communications pass automatically to the PLC CPU. There are also some which do the same for PLC transmitted commands.

The programs I have written with the BASIC program itself doing some string creation for sending and interpretation on receiving to relieve work on the PLC's CPU part.

Thanks Bernie

I will start right away...

Again thanks for the help and have a great day

By the way do not buy the software AB try to sell for configuration of the basic card, hyperteminal is just as good.

Hyperterminal xfer to 1746-BAS

Bernie,

I've tried to transfer text file to 1746-BAS without success. I've already set the jumper for port 1 to be programming port, port 2 is ASCII 232. I wish to know for use hyperterminal at first time, what parameter shall I set (Baud rate, Parity, especially Flow Control) to able to transfer my notepad program to 1746-BAS.