failed firmware update

bradal

Just tried to flash a 1794-L34 flex-logix PLC, it failed part way through with some sort of comm error.(11011) What are my options now, can I reset the PLC back to original state etc etc.

Can see the PLC in RSlinx as 1794-L34, but now shows up as unrecognised device.

Thanks

If you see red X in linx, it means you don't see it.

Try to cycle power without battery
If you see processor in linx, you can reflash it.
If not- send it for repair

I can see the PLC in linx without the red X but it does not show up with the proper symbol now, must not have a current EDS for that version. It shows that the PLC is the current revision, that we tried downloading, but I cannot flash again with the controlflash program. When I get to the step to select which firmware file to use, I cannot select any, even after clicking the SHOW ALL button. It should show all available firmware files, but none show up in list. I searched for the NVS file and got to the proper directory but still will not show up in the list

Last edited:
I can see the main Processor image saying the version etc, then next level is the backplane, then the next level is the processor but just 1794-L34 no version or anything. Is that the level in linx I goto? When I goto that level in controlflash it says communication error, when I goto the first level with revision etc, then I cannot select a firmware version.

OK, now I can start the firmware update and it goes for a while, then comm error. Restart it and at some other place in the progress of the update the same comm error.

This sounds to me like a power problem either in your PC or your controller power supply, or a wonky cable, or some combination of these factors.

If it were me, I'd take the controller to my Rockwell dealer and have them carefully perform the upgrade with a PC that's known to perform correctly.

Thanks all, this was actually for a guy that I work with. We loaded up my laptop and all went well!!

COMPUTERS!!!!