rs view+slc 500 redundant system

Amr Hassan

what are the software options, optional packages and hardware to conect one workstation to slc 500 redundant plc

Amr,

Are you sure about the 500?, that's a old line it may be a 504/05?

But anyways there are many options,

RSView
RSView32
RSView-ME

The thing to keep in mind is your license that you get dependent on the number if tags 300, 1500, more money, more money...

In a class that I took (from Rockwell) the license had something like 150,000? I think, I could not imagine something that size..

For the PLC, you would need RSlogix 500, and I think you would need RSlinx, 500 comes with linx lite, but depending on your communication setup that may be ok

Hope this helps

in siemens , to connect to a redundant plc u must use a package called s7 redconnect , is there something similar for that

I'm not sure of the definition that you are referring to "redundancy" to me is a "back up", running incase the first one fails...This I have never done and I don't think I will ever do...

If you are talking about a network you can use Profi if you like it or you can use many others, AB has a couple for the 500 series that are built in DH and DH+ (data highway), you just need to configure it and a 3 conductor cable (blue hose)

What is the application you are considering?

i checked the material i have

i have a 1747-l543 processor which is /04 cpu i think
and i have 1747-bsn backup scanner

what do i need on the computer side , do i need any special cards

Amr,

1747-l543 processor, is a 504 so that means you do have DH+

I never heard of 1747-bsn...Thanks, it's cool, I still don't think that I will ever have the need for one.

So if you need to get on the data highway, you will need the standard stuff, RSlogix500, RSlinx and then a card for your computer...

If you are using a lap top the 1748-PCMK/B will work well, the cable that I use is 1748-PCM6/B, with this I have several options to hook up.

If you are using a standard pc, then depending on what slots you have avalibale, I have some 1784KTXD's I use these in my ISA slots, these are very dependable

I'm hoping that Ken Roach or someone will step in and help, I'm not sure if the BSN has a special comm...

hope this helps

Connect your PC via the Data Highway Plus (DH+) network as described by the user manual, and the two SLC-5/04 controllers will be accessible via DH+ just like ordinary controllers.

The primary controller will be seen on the network as address N, and the secondary controller as address N+1.

When the controllers switch roles, the node numbers will be switched as well. There are no special settings or utilities necessary for RSLinx.

And i believe adding to what Ken has said that if you connect directly to the processor then you must connect to the PRIMARY Processor.

Or connect to the DH+ at a point after the BSN Module

See pages 55 to 58 of the manual

Amr Hassan said:
what do i need on the computer side , do i need any special cards

If its a laptop then as already stated a PCMK Card with the correct cable

If its a desktop then a KTX Card ( I havent used one of these for years, they used to be ISA standard and i presume that they are still available and in a PCI format ?)

Either will get you straight onto the DH+ network with the appropriate cable/connector.

You will also need RSLogix 500 and RS Linx

It's now the 1784-pktx card and I just bought 2 a couple of weeks ago so they are still available (work on XP as well)

Marc