USB & 1747-pic / AIC+ Driver

donl517

Is there no compatible solution for this? I feel like I am in the stone ages here. Does AB think comp manufacturers are going to start putting serial ports back in laptops just for them. I would really like to move on and upgrade. I have tried 3 different USB to Serial adapters today to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Don

donl517 said:
Does AB think comp manufacturers are going to start putting serial ports back in laptops just for them.

Nope. That is why they released the UIC product. Just as you once had to throw away an old laptop, its time to throw away the PIC.

There are also some thrid party adaptors available.

note:
Do not confuse the DB9 port on the UIC with a normal USB-RS232 converter. The entire UIC, both ports, are strictly DH485 converters. You still need a normal USB-RS232 to talk to serial DF-1 devices such as the Micrologix, SLC 5/03 and above, CLX, etc.

Last edited:
Please note carefully the last line of the technote jwhitesock referenced: "These converters will not work with DH-485 protocol."

I work for Rockwell Automation and run serial interfaces to various controllers every day.

My recommendations for USB interfaces are:

1747-UIC for DH-485 connectivity

Keyspan HS19 for DF1, Modbus, and ASCII connectivity

What a pain to have to carry around all those cables and adaptors Ken. When will Rockwell start making things more user friendly as technology advances instead of more complicated!!

Bit of a harsh comment. How was Rockwell to know 10 years ago that the serial port which was an industry standard and on every computer ever made was going to be deleted due to cost reasons from computers made in 2006.
Regards Alan Case

jwhitesock said:
What a pain to have to carry around all those cables and adaptors Ken. When will Rockwell start making things more user friendly as technology advances instead of more complicated!!

In addition to Alan's comment Rockwell did make things more
user friendly with the 1747-UIC for DH485 comm.

Don't get me wrong, I use AB products everyday and I like them. It’s just frustrating that every time Rockwell updates there software and products it seems to be more complicated. Shouldn't things get easier with newer technology? Sorry about the harsh comment I didn't mean it that way. And I totally agree how were they to know that the PC industry would dump the serial port. That's another frustration I have.

I Changed PIC for PCMCIA, with this board you have never had the same problem, the only is expensive but is very usefull, compact, also it fits in all new computers.

could work.

jwhitesock said:

I have a hard case specially for all my cables.

AB - RS232, panelviews, PCMK, Devicenet PCMCIA and Serial, Ethernet, PIC, USB_PIC

Mitsi Sc03, SC09, HMIs (MAC)

Redlion Usb Cable

SSD Drives Serial Cable

Siemens S5 serial convertor, S7 PPI and MPI

Klockner Moeller Logo, PS3, PS4

AB:

"Our goal is to allow our customers to use these newer laptops without redesigning all of our RS-232-based products."

ME:

"My goal is to never let another customer use DH485 as a protocol. (since that is more convienent for me then spending $216.00 on a converter)"

LOL, How can they expect everyone to keep jumping through hoops for them. I can't dictate to my customer or futhermore their other vendors which protocols to use. If you can't make it work then scrap it completely and don't offer it as an option. Or, and I can't believe I am even suggesting this, update your product. :-o But don't give me another high priced component I have to purchase to make it work.

1764LRP AB PROC. UNIT W/RS232 PORT MLOGIX 1500 = $304.48

For now I guess I will resurrect the pheonix.

Have a great and prosperous day!
Don

Last edited:
Don
I feel your pain. But like Dave I have one bag just for cables. I work for a company that makes custom machinery and have been doing field srevice work for 20 years. So I have cables and adpts. that don't get used much but I still have them for customer supp.
Oh and how about the old OS that I have to keep. some in DOS that will not run on XP.
icon8.gif

Just keep on smiling
icon7.gif