Abt Rs View

The easiest (safe) way for occasional use is to create a dial-in account using software like pcAnywhere (Norton) or Windows remote desktop. Connect the SCADA to the phone line, and dial in from a remote location from a computer with the remote client software installed, then you have access to the PC desktop and can see everything a local user can. I use this technique for quick troubleshooting for our international sites.

Note that this technique suffers from long screen update times, but it's very secure and requires little effort to set up. If you need more performance you will have to set up a broadband internet connection, but this requires a lot more setup and hardware to keep your production machines safe from internet nasties.

You can access a remote desktop over the internet the same as you would over a dial-up connection.

However, connecting your process network to the internet puts your production machines at serious risk of viruses and other things. You need to take proper precautions unless you want to risk a lot of downtime.

I recommend as a minimum:
1. Segregate any office network (you would usually connect to the internet through this) via a gateway or firewall.
2. Do not allow access to the operating system if a computer is connected to the internet - a bored operator will definitely surf the net and potentially download dangerous executables and so forth.

I really don't recommend connecting a process network to the internet though - generally, the risk of problems is more than the convenience is worth.