How to program this

userxyz

I have 2 carpetdetectors on a machine, at the input and the exit of the machine. When there is acrpet in de tha machine a motor has to run.

You could say, start/stop, but no. Sometimes there are small pieces of carpet to be producted. So when a reset came it could be possible that there just was a set of another carpet...

A simple method would be to keep it running for a minimum period of time after the trailing edge of the carpet has cleared the sensor at the entrance. A potential application for an off-delay timer if your PLC has one in its function set.

I would use both Steve's and Simon's approach. When the counter indicates zero products inside let it run long enough to empty out any that were missed going in.

Increment the counter on the leading edge of the input sensor pulse. Decrement the counter on the falling edge of the output sensor - this way you know the roll has completely exited the machine.