Migrating Sy/Max Class 8030 I/O to S908 Modicon RIO

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Any Sy/Max gurus out there ? I have a project where the customer has Sy/Max model 500 controllers running I/O in remote chassis using CRM-210 "Local Interface" scanners and CRM-220 "Remote Interface" adapters, with Square-D GRK-210 chassis and Class 8030 discrete I/O modules like the DOM-221 and DIM-101.

We have an opportunity to replace the controller with a device that is designed to control Modicon S908 Remote I/O.

When I got into this I was told "all Square-D remote I/O is compatible with Modicon, same as the 800-series". Of course that doesn't turn out to be the case; that 4-wire cable connecting tyhe CRM-210 and CRM-220 modules is totally different from Modicon's co-axial cable and the RIO Heads that the Quantum uses.

Are there different "CRM" type modules that allow this Sy/Max I/O to be used on a Modicon S908 I/O network ? Or are the Sy/Max modules that can be connected to such a network from another family of Sy/Max controllers or I/O ?

That "eclipse.modicon" site seems to have about the same information as the "square-d.com" site but is better laid out. Thanks for the link, I'll keep reading (and yes, I spent a few hours reading manuals before I posted !).

Does anyone on the Forum have direct experience with using a Quantum (or other S908 master) to run old Class 8030 Sy/Max I/O ?

It looks like the Class 8030 CRM931 module is what I'm looking for. It's compatible only with RRK (register) and HRK (discrete) racks, not the GRK isolated I/O racks that I know the customer has installed.

Last edited:
These were four point discrete only I/O modules. I am pretty sure you are out of luck as far as connecting them to the S908 network. From memory Square D started to obsolete the DRK rack and its I/O cards almost 20 years ago, so long ago in fact that most salespeople do not know they even existed.

Other than this I have never had to answer questions on problems with Symax I/O on S908.

Ken,

There is a Sy/Max guru here in Birmingham AL that has started working for the Rockwell GMS (used to worked in the SquareD support group in Birmingham, at least 15 years) group out at the Mercedes facility in Vance. His name is Alan Shelley. Many of the projects I remember him working on was replacing/integrating Sy/Max systems with newer Quantum systems. If you do not have him in the company directory I can dig up his cell phone.

Darren