SLC500 Output module relay

jjchild

I need some help in locating Takamisawa JY25H-K-505 (or physical/functional equivalent) relays which are found on AB SLC500 Output modules (Cat: 1746-0W16).

In an attempt to find a physical/functional equivalent, I contacted (actually Fujitsu Takamisawa) only to find out that the JY25H-K-505 was a special item mfg'd for AB. As such, the data sheet for the item is not available to third parties. They offered to sell some of the items as long as the qty was very small (possibly <10).

Anyone else run into this roadblock? If so, what was your solution?

Thanks in advance,

JJ Child

I've rarely found it to be cost effective to repair individual PLC modules.

If you are regularly letting the smoke out of your contact output modules, you should verify that a contact output is the right choice for the application.

Contact outputs don't hold up as well as transistor outputs in high duty cycle applications. Also, contact outputs generally aren't rated for as high an inrush current as a transistor output. If you're switching an inductive load, make sure you have a properly sized (and functional) surge suppressor wired in parallel with the load. If you're turning the output on and off several times per minute, you should be using a transistor output.

thanks

I had a feeling that it really isn't cost effective to do component level repair in house. I spoke to one of our gurus and he expressed essentially the same thing.

In addition to cost, his feeling was that it would in fact be wiser to replace the entire module as we did not know the cause of the failure; was the failure mechanical or electrical and did it damage any other components?

The disadvantage to being the low man in a shop is that, more often than not, you're not told all of the story. In this instance the "why" and "how" of the failure were omitted. :rolleyes:

JJ Child

jjchild said:
I had a feeling that it really isn't cost effective to do component level repair in house. I spoke to one of our gurus and he expressed essentially the same thing.

In addition to cost, his feeling was that it would in fact be wiser to replace the entire module as we did not know the cause of the failure; was the failure mechanical or electrical and did it damage any other components?

The disadvantage to being the low man in a shop is that, more often than not, you're not told all of the story. In this instance the "why" and "how" of the failure were omitted. :rolleyes:

JJ Child
Hi I have found it to be very effective to repair these modules. They are right that the cause of the failure must be found, but if swapping a relay can get a machine up and running then it pays. I have found an omron which works, but only for half of the ouputs because the omron has a + and -. The TAKAMISAWA does not have a polarity. So I stripped all of the good relays from one card and use them for half of the repairs and the TAKs for the others. If you would like more specific you can email me at [email protected]

Tell that to the Production people when the line is down and you installed you last one earlier in the week. I can keep 15 relay on hand and 2 cards. Having another problem with a bad relay in a 1394 this week that took down a line. AB says send the controller in for a $6000 repair. Repair part is $3.98 at Allied Electronics. As a professional I do what is best for my company and sometimes that means changing components.

I don't have the number of the relay we use handy right now but it is an Omron relay. Also I feel that it is cost effective to replace an inexpensive relay versus replacing an output module. The relay we use is the same relay we used to use to repair our Cutler-Hammer D200 relay outputs and our Omron relay output modules. The Omron modules BTW were socketed and there was a nifty relay pulling tool in the module. Apparently Omron saw the sense in it too.

Hey Chuck I would be interested to know which relay you use. We have used an OMRON G6B-1114-US and it works fine for outputs 4-7 and 12-15 but they turn the other relays around and the coil voltage was reversed so the OMRON would not work for the other outputs. I was wondering if you had found a different relay that would work for all of the outputs.
John

justanotherjohn said:
Hey Chuck I would be interested to know which relay you use. We have used an OMRON G6B-1114-US and it works fine for outputs 4-7 and 12-15 but they turn the other relays around and the coil voltage was reversed so the OMRON would not work for the other outputs. I was wondering if you had found a different relay that would work for all of the outputs.
John

I know this is a little old but ran into this the other day. Called Omron and they make two relays that work, the difference is that the coil polarity is reversed. Just thought I would shed some light on it. For $6 or $7 bucks it pays to replace them for a 10 min job. Omron Part #'s
G6B-1114P-US-DC24
G6B-1114P-1-US-DC24

I know this is a little old but ran into this the other day. Called Omron and they make two relays that work, the difference is that the coil polarity is reversed. Just thought I would shed some light on it. For $6 or $7 bucks it pays to replace them for a 10 min job. Omron Part #'s
G6B-1114P-US-DC24
G6B-1114P-1-US-DC24

So according to this, output 4-7, 12-15 needs to be replaced with Omron
G6B-1114P-US-DC24 and the other outputs with G6B-1114P-1-US-DC24?

Last edited:
Wire the IO card out to terminals and then use a DIR rail mounted relay if they fry that much cheaper to replace a £7 Rlay on a din rail than solder in a card.....